Need advice on an easy and active tank

DebSills

I used to have a 29G planted tank so I will just give my stocking opinion:

1) Center Piece: Pair of Bolivian Rams or a nice colorful Betta fish.  The rams are hardier than their blue ram cousins and still get wonderful colors and have a little personality.  A Betta isn't usually thought of as a community fish but as long as you're purposeful about tank mates then they are great centerpiece fish.

2) Dither Fish: 6-8 Neon/Cardinal Tetra.  You honestly could do a ton of different options for dither fish but I find that everyone who isn't a hobbyist notice neon and/or cardinal tetra first because of their striking color.

3) Bottom Dwellers: 6-8 Panda Cories. Again, there are other types of cories that will also work but Pandas stay relatively small and will thrive in a 20 or 29G.

4) Clean Up Crew: 3-5 Amano Shrimp and/or a Bristlenose Pleco.  

@Beardedbillygoat1975 I'm kind of deciding between Platies, Cherry Barbs or Danios atm...but, I am open to almost anything

@NOLANANO I've thought about Bolivian rams actually - my LFS has blue rams, but she'd probably get me bolivians if I asked her to (she's super nice!) am I correct that they don't need to be as warm as blue rams need to be?

I've also been tempted to get a hillstream loach, they look so cool - I will definitely be getting some Amanos for sure...they'll probably go in the tank while the plants are growing

• Like 1

I would go with my favorite community fish, the humble white cloud. They are extremely active and their displays with each other are awesome when they flair their fins and zip around the tank side by side. 

I’d put in either a pair of some more chill  dwarf cichlids, my preference being Bolivian Rams, and a trio of Honey Gourami.

On 11/15/2022 at 4:12 PM, DebSills said:

@Beardedbillygoat1975 I'm kind of deciding between Platies, Cherry Barbs or Danios atm...but, I am open to almost anything

@NOLANANO I've thought about Bolivian rams actually - my LFS has blue rams, but she'd probably get me bolivians if I asked her to (she's super nice!) am I correct that they don't need to be as warm as blue rams need to be?

I've also been tempted to get a hillstream loach, they look so cool - I will definitely be getting some Amanos for sure...they'll probably go in the tank while the plants are growing

You are correct. While blue rams prefer water in the mid 80's (my tank is at 82.5 F), Bolivian rams prefer around 78 F.  Also while all fish have their preferences, the Bolivians will give you more lee way as far as water parameters.