Suprise goldfish keeper 🙃

AnotherHumanPerson

I just got a text from my grandma that said my sister won a goldfish at some Halloween event, and that (kinda jokingly) I should get my tank ready. Luckily, I have an old 2.5 gallon and air pump for the fish as a temporary home, but I am concerned for the long term. To my understanding, comet goldfish (the type she won) need to be in groups of at least two and need 20-30 gallons per fish. 

1. Could I get away with two in a 55 gal?

2. How should I go about convincing my parents to get the larger tank/pond? (They have NO understanding of anything fish keeping related)

Argh, that’s a tough one. First thing will be to see if the goldy survives a quarantine period; ‘prize’ goldfish have often been kept terribly and are worn down. 
I kept 3 goldfish  in a 55 for about three years. Water changes were heck and it wasn’t a pretty tank as the fish ate every plant I put in, so it wasn’t a very enjoyable experience compared to keeping smaller fish in a planted tank. But I did not know as much then as I do now, so I think with care and attention you could keep them in a tank that size for a bit, but eventually they’ll need a larger tank or pond if they get full size. 

I would say a 75 gallon or bigger would be better in the long term for a comet I would also recommend a external canister filter you can use a combination of hob and sponge filter I use a fluval 307 external canister filter and a ziss 300f bubble filter and I do 25-50% water change once a week  that works well for me no nirites or ammonia the smaller the tank the more water changes you will have to do 

Edited by Colu

I had two in 60g for 10 years prior you that one of them had lived in a variety of glass boxes (out lived a few). 

So you have a bit of time the 2.5 won't last you any longer than the crystal punch bowl that housed my fair prize Goldy did but it will do while you negotiate.

Bigger is best but if you don't think your parents will go for that straight away they'll probably agree to upgrades as it grows.

Don't panic about friends yet it is always more fun to have a group but maybe let your sister be the driving force there. (Then your helping them with her thing)

On my 60 with two very big fish I had a fluval 306 and smaller internal filter from their prior  tank. Two filters just allows for alternate week cleaning my water changes were generally 25% weekly but I if needed I could do a bigger change and it would last a couple of weeks.

They are fun and friendly fish place somewhere where the family notice that and it will again help your cause for an upgrade.

Good luck. I'd never have kept fish if I hadn't hooked that duck so I have a fair to thank for a 30 year hobby. That goldfish of mine died in 2018 after being my pet for more than 25years.

• Love 1

@PineSongSo far, it *appears* to be doing good, but we’ll see how it does. 

@KittenFishMomMight as well try. I might be able to bargain my way to a pond if I can’t get a tank.

@ColuSounds good. I’ve heard canisters can be quite a hassle, so I might go with the hob/sponge combo.

@FlumpweeselI’ll see if that method works.

@AnotherHumanPerson  i wouldn't stress about it too much.  If it makes you happy to gear up (buying a big tank and equipment), then do it.  Otherwise, see if the goldfish can stay disease free for a month or so in your current setup.  My daughter started preschool and I saw a comet goldfish in a 5 or 10 gallon tank at her school.  The fish was won in a fair.  It somehow grew to 8inches over several years and it seems healthy.  Don't stress, just view it as an opportunity to learn.  That's my 2 cents.

Edited by venzi