Algaes here but not here - water flow ? Can’t figure out

Hi,

I use HTH pool filter sand in most of my tank and have a land with active substrate kind of in the middle. 
I have noticed more algae in the sand in some places of the tank, more toward to the middle and one side of the tank. In the other two corners, not at all.

I am wondering if this could be the light or maybe the water flow ? I can’t figure out the reason.

Do you have some suggestion ?

6F036B63-C22F-4E42-8460-37A98848E206.jpeg

A67AAC2E-8B83-45CA-B31A-2502EF41DF59.jpeg

On 10/15/2022 at 2:31 PM, Marcelo said:

Hi,

I use HTH pool filter sand in most of my tank and have a land with active substrate kind of in the middle. 
I have noticed more algae in the sand in some places of the tank, more toward to the middle and one side of the tank. In the other two corners, not at all.

I am wondering if this could be the light or maybe the water flow ? I can’t figure out the reason.

Do you have some suggestion ?

6F036B63-C22F-4E42-8460-37A98848E206.jpeg

A67AAC2E-8B83-45CA-B31A-2502EF41DF59.jpeg

Try adding some fish that churn up the substrate?

• Thanks 1

That's not technically algea, its blue green "algea" which is a bacteria.  Fish that sift the substrate , and greater flow will help. But your biggest source is silica in the sand. A quick solution for you would also be to run a course or two of Acoops anti bacteria medicine Myercin (sp)

Edited by JoeQ
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2022 at 9:28 AM, Colu said:

You could add some  Malaysian trumpet snails they will borrow though the sand preventing any dead spots 

I have 5 nerite snails and 2 Chinese algae eaters 😳 and they don’t show interest on it 😜 - I will research this Malaysian trumpet ! Thank you 

On 10/15/2022 at 10:56 AM, Marcelo said:

I have 5 nerite snails and 2 Chinese algae eaters 😳 and they don’t show interest on it 😜 - I will research this Malaysian trumpet ! Thank you 

Live stock will not eat it, trumpet snails are useful because they will churn the sand but very quickly become invasive. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2022 at 11:12 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Then they can be dealt with with Assassin Snails, 

Nope... I thought this as well, assassin snails have very little impact. Your best way to deal with an infestation is to limit feeding 

On 10/15/2022 at 11:30 AM, Marcelo said:

Well, I am trying to made a hair grass carpet in the that substrate island I mentioned and I now I am concerned these trumpet snails will churn the island too and mess with my future carpet 😳

IMO, I don't see any purpose in them other than raising a colony for feeding pea puffers. Flow and water changes are your friend!

On 10/15/2022 at 11:39 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

That has been my dream for about a month and so far Diddly Squat has happened!

@JoeQ, do you have any ideas for a fish that would churn up the substrate?

I’ve heard that CAEs will pick on mystery snails.

Bottom feeders, coryies, loaches,  sand sifters, rams, etc

On 10/15/2022 at 11:42 AM, JoeQ said:

IMO, I don't see any purpose in them other than raising a colony for feeding pea puffers. Flow and water changes are your friend!

Bottom feeders, coryies, loaches,  sand sifters, rams, etc

Hi, do you believe I should try increase or decreased the water flow in this area ? 

On 10/15/2022 at 12:13 PM, Marcelo said:

Hi, do you believe I should try increase or decreased the water flow in this area ? 

Increase, along with lots of water changes.  Ideally you want to remove the conditions that make the bacteria thrive. Else, anything you do for a quick cleanup will only be a bandaid fix and it will grow back. Here is a good article on what you are dealing with. https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/blue-green-algae

Edited by JoeQ
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2022 at 6:20 PM, JoeQ said:

Increase, along with lots of water changes.  Ideally you want to remove the conditions that make the bacteria thive. Else, anything you do for a quick cleanup will only be a bandaid fix and it will grow back. Here is a good article on what you are dealing with. https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/blue-green-algae

I agree with @JoeQ, destroy all the conditions making life great for the algae. Without harming the fish of course😏

• Thanks 1