Remineralizing RO Water

Rory Waliser

I've decided I want to start using strictly RO water for water changes. I got a new well at my house which produces stupid hard water with a pH of about 8.4. The pHs are stable in my tanks, but with the high GH and KH, I've found it very difficult to lower my pH below 8 and keep it there as (I think) the hardness is pulling it back up.

Does anybody have any experience using straight RO water and adding supplements to it as to not shock the tank? I'm assuming seachem makes a product for this, but I'm not sure which one it would be. Any suggestions or corrections to my thought process?

I've never kept them, but from what I've read, these water parameters sounds like an african cichlid keeper's wet dream.

On 10/12/2022 at 2:10 PM, Rory Waliser said:

I've decided I want to start using strictly RO water for water changes. I got a new well at my house which produces stupid hard water with a pH of about 8.4. The pHs are stable in my tanks, but with the high GH and KH, I've found it very difficult to lower my pH below 8 and keep it there as (I think) the hardness is pulling it back up.

Does anybody have any experience using straight RO water and adding supplements to it as to not shock the tank? I'm assuming seachem makes a product for this, but I'm not sure which one it would be. Any suggestions or corrections to my thought process?

I've never kept them, but from what I've read, these water parameters sounds like an african cichlid keeper's wet dream.

I have an rodi and I mix the rodi with my tap water to get the right hardness. Also know your ph is going to fluctuate as you change the hardness of the water so be aware of that as well

Edited by DiscusLover
  • Like 1

For remineralizing my RO water I use seachem equilibrium, alkaline buffer, and acid buffer to get the right balance. They're fairly easy to use, but know that acid buffer takes away some kh from the use of the alkaline buffer, so you'll have to practice with a few buckets of water and make sure you're getting it right with a good test kit, not strips. 

• Like 3

Mixing is probably the best, cheapest choice.  You will have to play around with it until you find a ratio that works for you and your livestock.  But, you already have an immense source of effectively free mineralized water, you just want to reduce it to match the water you have been using..  Diluting the well water with treated RO water will be the cheapest option for your desired result.  

• Like 2

On 10/13/2022 at 10:20 AM, RockMongler said:

Mixing is probably the best, cheapest choice.  You will have to play around with it until you find a ratio that works for you and your livestock.  But, you already have an immense source of effectively free mineralized water, you just want to reduce it to match the water you have been using..  Diluting the well water with treated RO water will be the cheapest option for your desired result.  

I agree mostly, but there are going to be tap water parameters that won't work for this period. I had 8.7 or so ph at an old place and it was impossible to get the right gh and kh with the right ph and all that. This became even more necessary in my new place with 9.6 ph. Often times it's best to start with just RODI water. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 9:11 PM, DiscusLover said:

I have an rodi and I mix the rodi with my tap water to get the right hardness. Also know your ph is going to fluctuate as you change the hardness of the water so be aware of that as well

What KH and GH do you think I will start to notice a more volatile pH and how long after a water change will it take for the pH to stabilize after adding the RO water? I know these aren’t exactly linear equations we’re dealing with here, but how long should I wait to test my water so I can determine if I still need to lower my hardness a bit?

On 10/14/2022 at 10:02 AM, Rory Waliser said:

What KH and GH do you think I will start to notice a more volatile pH and how long after a water change will it take for the pH to stabilize after adding the RO water? I know these aren’t exactly linear equations we’re dealing with here, but how long should I wait to test my water so I can determine if I still need to lower my hardness a bit?

Well I am not sure how much gh and kh you would put in but it will either slowly or rapidy change the ph depending on how much the gh and kh difference is. I also recommend  do not change the gh and kh in your tank suddenly if there is livestock in there. I would do slow water changes over a period of a week around 10% every water change.

• Like 1