Dead shrimp, help!

Sultrysamurai

If you are worried about fish-don't give up! Get something easy like a batta fish. Shrimp are HARD to keep alive. You will do fine with a betta just: feed it and change the water every 2 weeks. But rember do your research on tank parameters. Don't give up! Once you have a betta for a while you could get some neon tetras too .

• Thanks 2

@Sultrysamurai, shrimp are harder than most fish, so I hope you won’t give up. It was likely pH shock that was the problem. I’ve been in your shoes and had that feeling— Not a fun hobby if the stress outweighs enjoyment. But it is 100% most likely likely that you’ll have better outcomes in future. Choosing a hardy and easy fish to start out with (not bettas or store-bought guppies) can make all the difference. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2022 at 11:48 PM, Sultrysamurai said:

Thank you so much for the encouragement. Why not bettas? That was the fish I was planning for. Thank you!

Well, bettas can be great easy fish…. Or not. Perhaps because they are seen as easy fish, people are not as consistent with maintaining high water quality; also they don’t eat much so a container of betta pellets is stale and out of date long before the expiration date if you’re only feeding one betta, but again most people don’t notice that so the fish gets clogged up by eating the same cloggy food every day instead of a variety of new and fresh foods. So, maybe for these reasons or others, it  seems they are susceptible to digestive problems and to fin rot, and it can be frustrating that they have shorter life spans than expected.

I have kept bettas for years and my oldest one made it to 3 years old but many others have lasted less than a year, with the same care.

On 10/12/2022 at 9:03 PM, PineSong said:

have kept bettas for years and my oldest one made it to 3 years old but many others have lasted less than a year, with the same care.

Awe I’m so sorry. I had 2 betta that I kept in little bowls ( hence why I feel awful and want to do this 10gallon right and house one properly) and drove them across the country with me and they survived an ice storm power outage for 10 days. They actually lived about 2.5 years. I was very naive to their needs and only feed them beta pellets.. and I still feel awful lol 

On 10/13/2022 at 12:09 AM, Sultrysamurai said:

Awe I’m so sorry. I had 2 betta that I kept in little bowls ( hence why I feel awful and want to do this 10gallon right and house one properly) and drove them across the country with me and they survived an ice storm power outage for 10 days. They actually lived about 2.5 years. I was very naive to their needs and only feed them beta pellets.. and I still feel awful lol 

Well those are good outcomes, so you should not be afraid to try again! A betta will love a 10g.

• Love 1