Fully aquatic turtles in an aquarium

arnoldrew

I'm looking for advice on keeping turtles. The main thing I'm wondering is if there are any that are fully aquatic and don't require basking areas. Basically, I want the tank to be full and to just use fishkeeping equipment (filters and such, probably Aquaclear). I'm planning on using a 75 gallon tank (I can put them in a smaller tank if they need it when they are babies). From the research I have done, It looks like the loggerhead musk turtle might be right up my alley, but every guide says to include a basking area and then implies they will never use it (also, almost every video I've seen that mentions it basically says the same thing, "Make sure to include a basking area even though I've never seen any of my 79 turtles use it!").

Also, do fish ever bother them? If I kept a loggerhead with, say, tiger barbs, would they be capable of hurting or stressing out the turtle? Yes, I get that he will probably eat some if he can catch them.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I’ll preface by saying I really know very very little about turtles, just love them and the occasional research. I’ve heard (idk if it’s true or not) the actual basking area has something to do with turtles needing to absorb a vitamin the sun or light simulating it provides for healthy bodily processes. If this is determined to actually be the case perhaps it would be possible to achieve the same effect within a regular aquarium setting without the basking area itself with a little diy. What I can speak relatively comfortably on is that I wouldn’t worry about the fish bothering the turtle, more then likely it will be the other way around 🙃. Maybe if it’s a concern introduce them at or around the same exact time before any territorial behavior can be established and he will most likely be in charge of the tank (and it’s numbers). I am interested to see what other people think as well as some updates if you choose to do this project, I think more people would want something similar, I would for sure…

• Like 1

Well, I've never kept Loggerhead Musks, but I do have an Eastern Musk.

I keep a basking area with mine but have only seen him up there a couple times. Despite that, he does spend most of his time around the area. I think the most important part is giving them a place where they could get out if they needed to.

Believe it or not, I have found my Musk to be bothered by fish. My Musk is tiny (2"), so I'm sure an adult turtle would behave differently.

I think Fly River Turtles are considered “fully aquatic.” Cory and Dean both have one each and I didn’t see Cory provide a basking area for his. Cory also has musk turtles, but I’m not sure if they’re loggerhead musk turtles. Let’s tag him @Cory

Although there are some other turtle species that hardly bask like Mata Mata turtles and some snapper species, most care guides suggest you provide one. I think this is because there is a movement in the reptile hobby right now to provide UVB/UVA and heating areas for more and more reptiles. It is now being suggested for many species of geckos and snakes, even though many people have kept them for decades without any lighting equipment. I think it comes down to people wanting to provide the “best” care possible, including any marginal benefits that may come from an underutilized resource for the animal. 

One of the main benefits for providing UVB is to stimulate the production of vitamin D3. As such, many reptile supplement powders have added Vitamin D3 but there is also debate on how effectively the reptiles can take it up. The main takeaway is that if you don’t provide UVB, you need to make sure that your turtle is getting all the vitamins it needs through its nutrition.

Basking also allows for the turtle to thermoregulate and also come out of the water to completely dry (and kill any bacteria on the turtle). So I agree with @Chris that you should at least have an area where it can come out (like a floating log or a platform), even if there aren’t any lights up there. 

• Like 2

Majority of reptiles will need some source of uv(b). You can get away with certain snakes like sand boas that are 99% underground. @AnimalNerd98explained it well in regards to uvb absorption and powdered supplements. When I had my panther chameleon, it was crucial to his health. Without uvb and an improper gut load, many reptiles can develop metabolic bone disease. Basking areas are very important. My Kenyan Sand Boa had a basking area even though I never saw it above ground except for feeding pinkies.

I have a 3 striped mud turtle, he is full grown with a 3" shell length. I have have only ever seen him use it twice but I do think it is important as an option. I had planned to build a basking platform for him at the top of the aquarium to keep the water volume as high as possible, but all my research suggests that they need to be kept in a shallower tank with resting places near the surface since they are not as strong of swimmers as others turtles. Definitely something to keep in mind as you do your research. 

When it comes to fish tank mates right now I have Platies and Cardinal Tetra's. The only time I have ever seen the turtle eat a fish it was one that was obviously weak and having trouble swimming. He would have a hard time catching them in a chase but they do not seem at all concerned with him since at feeding time they are right around him nipping at the scraps. I do make sure that any fish I put in would at least be safe for him to eat if that were to happen. So no cories or anything with sharp spines. And no Algae eaters that might suck on his shell. 

If I recall correctly in one of this video's @Cory mentioned that he had learned the hard way that some fish will peck at the turtle's eyes but I do not remember what fish that was. Hopefully he will chime in because that definitely makes me hesitant to add anything larger then a platy.