Need Some Guidance. Again

sweetpoison

On 10/8/2022 at 12:05 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Yes you're really close, the bacteria is there and doing it's job it is just finding its level. 

Who is going to live in this tank anyway?

@FlumpweeselI do not know who is going to live in my tank as wet pets. I go back-and-forth between puffers, one beta, oh, my friend has a Discus, who is in dire need of a home. I’ve had one discus before ~  I’ve had many before. My favorite fish in the whole world. They’re better in groups of three or more but one, I had for years just with an angelfish he was a rescue. And I have to have rummy nose!  Discus require pristine water conditions, water changes lots of care.  Can’t put anything with the Beta or the puffer fish🙄Decisions decisions.

I have my decorations and plants in now. Just finished.

I haven’t tested my water yet I’m scared! But I’m going to ~ hopefully it will be zero ammonia zero nitrites and 10 nitrates.

BCB10F2B-2ED0-49F9-9187-DB33CB5474FC.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 10/10/2022 at 1:42 PM, Flumpweesel said:

That looks fab got my fingers crossed for those zeros.

Three great options don't think you can go wrong really sounds like they'll all bring you joy.

I just tested ~ 

zero ammonia,

10 nitrate

1 nitrite 

same reading, as far except nitrates, went down to 10 from 25.

What does this say to you guys?  Do I just keep testing every couple of days and just wait it out?

Edited by sweetpoison

On 10/12/2022 at 11:34 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Yup. Either ride that nitrite to 0, or do a water change and then ride it out to 0 from there. My .02 anyways 

Ok!

On 10/12/2022 at 11:58 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

That’s means you’re on phase 2!  Woo hoo! Fish are in your near future!

Phase 2? How many phases are there??😂😂

On 10/12/2022 at 2:23 PM, sweetpoison said:

Ammonia converts to Nitrite.  I don’t know if I knew that. So when’s nitrites are zero where did the ammonia go?

Ammonia(bad)-Nitrite(bad)-Nitrate(ok in small amounts). 😁

Edited by Patrick_G

It’s a beautiful scape and really lovely setting for any fish. From what I gathered these are silk?

I think a 20 long is too small for discus. I think it’s a perfect size for dwarf cichlids. Apistogramma such as cacatuoides or also Rams - Bolivian rams being the most forgiving and easy,  other dwarfs checkerboard cichlids, or smaller Acara like Nannacara. You can definitely do rummynose in there. 

Id honestly consider an over the counter bacterial supplement after another water change and add fish. Put a lucky bamboo or some pothos in to eat the excess nitrogenous waste and you’re good. Have fun!

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 3:49 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

It’s a beautiful scape and really lovely setting for any fish. From what I gathered these are silk?

I think a 20 long is too small for discus. I think it’s a perfect size for dwarf cichlids. Apistogramma such as cacatuoides or also Rams - Bolivian rams being the most forgiving and easy,  other dwarfs checkerboard cichlids, or smaller Acara like Nannacara. You can definitely do rummynose in there. 

Id honestly consider an over the counter bacterial supplement after another water change and add fish. Put a lucky bamboo or some pothos in to eat the excess nitrogenous waste and you’re good. Have fun!

Yeah, I’ve had discus for years in 55 gallon. But I’m rescuing one discus and trust me this 20 gallon is better than what’s coming.

Thanks for the compliment. I love my tank. Yeah I know I thought I’d give up live plants and go for the challenge of silk plants.😂😂

• Haha 1

On 10/12/2022 at 3:49 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I missed this part!  I’m checking in once again ~

I just tested:  

ammonia Zero

nitrate 25

nitrate 1

Last test was the 12th.

I might go ahead and get that over the counter bacteria.  Can you suggest some thing off of Amazon?  I also wanted to know how much time do I have to add fish once my tank is ready?  does it have to be right away?

Edited by sweetpoison

I’ve used Fritz TurboStart (make sure you get the freshwater version!) and I was happy with it. 

If I were you, I’d add the bottled bacteria, and then wait no more than a couple of days to add a couple of fish.The bottle you provide will add the bacteria that you need, but you will need to feed the ammonia bacteria (with ammonia from fish waste) to keep everything going. 

• Like 1

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea Yup! I knew it was historically accurate, and I thought it applied in this situation. 

I’m pretty sure way back on my IG I literally described the GlowLight Tetras I first started my 29 gallon with as the “canaries in the well” to make sure it was cycled. I grew up in CO, not sure why it’s “well” out here when it should be “coal mine” 🤔

On 10/19/2022 at 7:49 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea Yup! I knew it was historically accurate, and I thought it applied in this situation. 

I’m pretty sure way back on my IG I literally described the GlowLight Tetras I first started my 29 gallon with as the “canaries in the well” to make sure it was cycled. I grew up in CO, not sure why it’s “well” out here when it should be “coal mine” 🤔

That’s kinda like how in some states they say soda and in other states they say pop.

Did the Glo Lights make it? 😬

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1