Need Some Guidance. Again

sweetpoison

So I put the wrong lights on my 20 gallon long. I had the old light from the 29 gal tall and I think that it is too strong for this short tank, and it caused algae problems everywhere. And I’m still trying to cycle this tank. I have been so busy with work though but I did just test it and here are the results.  The ammonia is harmful according to the chart.  I did buy a lot less strong light for a 20 gallon long, yesterday.

I don’t know what to do next. But I am going to take everything out except the gravel and the water and clean it because the tank looks awful with all the algae🥺

I have not added ammonia in a while, but I seem to have a lot of nitrites and nitrates.  What does that tell you what should I do next??

C97043EE-F863-4942-B442-67D9D3E7C7FF.jpeg

Here’s a picture of my tank doesn’t look as bad as it did!  Will the algae go away on its own?

I am going to put fish in his tank if it’s the last thing I do!

E8110135-437A-4509-B36E-76F6E4E39CB3.jpeg

91F661D9-B142-46FB-B7AC-62FCF1EBEFE1.jpeg

I've just  taken the reflectors off my tank to see if that improves my personal algae journey. I upgraded to led's about two years ago and it had only just occurred to me that they are much brighter than the old tubes. My poor fish must have headaches.

Anyway back to your issue the algae is feeding on the ammonia so its all part of the same journey. As your tank cycles it should at least show down to make it manageable. 

How many weeks are you into this cycle ? My normal advise if to wait it out. 

Do you have live plants in there they can help deal with the ammonia and hopefully out compete that algae. If you have no live plants don't light the tank to reduce the algae growth.

No, no I don’t have live plants🤫

I did buy the proper light for this tank now, yesterday.  Yeah I was told don’t get LED because that makes the LG worse so I have a fluorescent one now whatever that means.!😅

Ive been trying to cycle this tank for months, adding ammonia every other day, but I have not added any in a long time. I have a lot of nitrates and nitrates don't I? 

You don’t think I should do a 50% water change just wait?  Exactly what am I waiting for?

If it was me, I’d do a 50% water change, and then do nothing. Don’t add anything (besides live plants), don’t add any more ammonia, don’t take anything away, and get the light you want on there. 

You’re waiting for your tank to get to 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. Once that happens, your tank is cycled, and then you can work towards a “seasoned”, balanced tank. 

Remember that you’re playing with nature, and nature takes time. 

• Like 2

Thank you so much that is explained so simply!  I will do a 50% water change and I will do nothing else. I haven’t added ammonia in a long time. Let me ask you one more question. Can I take out my driftwood forest and clean it or just let the algae take its course?

You’re right I want I want zero ammonia and zero nitrates. How often do you want me to test for that??

Thank you, thank you thank you!  

What type of wood is it? Looks like Spiderwood to me. That’s not actually algae on your wood, rather it is a fungus (don’t worry, It’s totally harmless!!!) from the wood breaking down. With Spiderwood (or most if not all woods, to my knowledge), they will continually break down, but Spiderwood should stop fungusing over time. When I was setting up my tanks (13 of them…) I’d soak my Spiderwood for a week in a bucket of water, let them fungus up, scrub them off, and then put them in my tanks. All pieces I have, besides 1, did not continue to fungus. The 1 piece I have that continues to fungus gets taken out from time to time on maintenance day to get scrubbed up in running tap water and then goes back into the tank. 

After your 50% water change, I’d test every couple of days (2-3) and take it from there. 

If you have any other questions, feel free to tag me using the @ and then my name. Things tend to move fast on the forum, but if you tag me I get a notification. 

• Like 2

@AllFishNoBrakesYou are a sweetheart!  Here is where I got my forest wood.  They were a lot taller but I had my tall tank ~  I just sawed it to fit this one. But I have that algae stuff on my plants too so it can’t be the wood.  The light is way too bright and powerful don’t you think? It’s Manzanita wood I think.  Well I had that wood in my other things I never got fungus😂😂 anyways, I have that new light I’m gonna put on tonight.

Thank you so much!

91AAC6AC-96BF-4B7F-971A-2C5C2AC19479.png

On 10/4/2022 at 10:01 AM, sweetpoison said:

91F661D9-B142-46FB-B7AC-62FCF1EBEFE1.jpeg

This looks bacterial, not algae based to me.  Take it out, rinse it well, then repeat that as often as need be.  You can use a soft brush also to remove the finicky bits.  If it was algae, or fungal, you'd handle it the exact same way. 

If you don't do this, the slime / bacterial bloom will clog equipment.  Keep the equipment flowing, focus on lowering ammonia, water changes, etc. and then you'll be fine with the cycle.  The key, especially if you're doing bacteria and ammonia from a bottle is to slowly process this.  You want it to slowly develop without many peaks.  When you add fish, add them slowly, give them time, track parameters.

Edited by nabokovfan87

It should not take months to cycle a 20 gallon tank. If your 29 gallon is still up and running take some filter media from that tank, put it in your 20 and you’re cycled. 
Alternatively or in addition to that dose your tank with live nitrifying bacteria (Fitz and Seachem both make products) and dechlorinator (again, Fitz or Seachem) and you should be OK.

On 10/4/2022 at 3:49 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

This looks bacterial, not algae based to me.  Take it out, rinse it well, then repeat that as often as need be.  You can use a soft brush also to remove the finicky bits.  If it was algae, or fungal, you'd handle it the exact same way. 

If you don't do this, the slime / bacterial bloom will clog equipment.  Keep the equipment flowing, focus on lowering ammonia, water changes, etc. and then you'll be fine with the cycle.  The key, especially if you're doing bacteria and ammonia from a bottle is to slowly process this.  You want it to slowly develop without many peaks.  When you add fish, add them slowly, give them time, track parameters.

Thank you!! I haven’t used ammonia in a long time because I’ve been having to put out fires at home and work. But I am taking that light off and I’m going to clean everything like you said thank you.  

On 10/4/2022 at 5:31 PM, Evan said:

It should not take months to cycle a 20 gallon tank. If your 29 gallon is still up and running take some filter media from that tank, put it in your 20 and you’re cycled. 
Alternatively or in addition to that dose your tank with live nitrifying bacteria (Fitz and Seachem both make products) and dechlorinator (again, Fitz or Seachem) and you should be OK.

My 29 gallon had a crack remember so then I got this one. But I used the light from the 29 gallon tall, which is too bright and powerful for this tiny 20 gallon long. So I got a new one I’m not using live, nitrifying bacteria only ammonia, but I was told not to use that anymore either. 

• Like 1

Hey @sweetpoison - I didn't read the whole thread here, but I instantly recognized the coating on the wood as biofilm!  Biofilm is awesome!  It contains protein and fiber and snails, shrimp, and other algae eaters love it.  It's good for them and it's good for the tank!

This always happens on new driftwood. It will last about a week.  @ 8:45 here

Sometimes I will add a new piece of driftwood just so I can grow/invite that gooey biofilm because the critters enjoy it!

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Oh wow!  Well, this is not really new I had this in my tank since April in and out actually cause the fire than I did move it and drain it but it’s not really new per se’.  But it’s very unsightly. I don’t want it again, but I believe if you think it’s good for the fish that I don’t have. YET🤣

Any idea how to get my gravel white again it’s yellow!!  

On 10/5/2022 at 6:54 AM, jwcarlson said:

Nitrites too high can "poison" the cycle, so water changing as noted above is a good plan.  Also agree that it isn't algae on the wood, but whatever slimy stuff grows on most new wood.  It will go away.  Those are pretty good looking fakes! 🙂

You mean the plants?  Everybody believes a they are real, especially the real big ones.🙃 at best their just not sure! 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 10:30 AM, sweetpoison said:

Any idea how to get my gravel white again it’s yellow!!  

I don't think it's possible. Tanks are naturally going to have algae & detritus coating the surfaces of objects.  Gravel vacc'ing may help because you can turn the gravel and perhaps refresh the top layer with what's underneath, but that is most likely a temporary fix, as anything up top will get coated with tank stuff.  Which is good for the tank just like the driftwood slime. Your gravel will house beneficial bacteria.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

@Chick-In-Of-TheSeaWell shitums.  It does look better though look!  I don’t have time to put everything back in but look at my intake filter.  It’s getting all that floating stuff!

Hey how do I lower the intake filter flow?  And my other little sponge filter ~  the noises are driving me crazy I never knew noticed that before!  Oh, and this is the most appropriate light for this size tank~  I love it because I can just open the lid not just a tiny little hole. However, Aqueon should have the cut outs already done. That was a PIA.! 😡

7743B562-878C-4DD8-BADB-42EFAAFA216D.jpeg

On 10/4/2022 at 2:56 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

After your 50% water change, I’d test every couple of days (2-3) and take it from there. 

If you have any other questions, feel free to tag me using the @ and then my name. Things tend to move fast on the forum, but if you tag me I get a notification. 

@AllFishNoBrakesok!  All cleaned up all done. I can’t put everything back in right now I gotta get to work but it look’s better!  I might not like it when I get my wet, pets knowing me🤭

I did a 50% of water change and then Friday I’ll test. And then I will find you.🤗

On 10/7/2022 at 11:39 AM, Flumpweesel said:

To me that is moving in the right direction. You should see the nitrite should keep dropping raising the nitrate.

When you see 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite then you are pretty much fish ready.

Get your decor in to give more surfaces for the bacteria

Yes Sir!  I’m gonna put it all back in tomorrow!

On 10/7/2022 at 12:07 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

@sweetpoison agreed with @Flumpweesel. The ammonia is worked through, and now you gotta work through that nitrIte. Almost there!

So I shouldn’t do any water changes just wait? Test every few days?

On 10/7/2022 at 4:45 PM, Patrick_G said:

You’re almost there!

I don’t worry about that biofilm stuff on wood, or soft brown diatom algae that forms in a new tank. I just take a toothbrush and brush it off. It’s easy to remove and a normal part of starting up a tank. 

Well I have started up many tanks in the past years, and I have never seen that gooey stuff before. I think the light was just too strong… I have the right light on there now if it comes back, Patrick, you’ll hear me scream🤣😩

On 10/7/2022 at 7:01 PM, sweetpoison said:

So I shouldn’t do any water changes just wait? Test every few days?

Up to you. If you wanna *maybe* work through that nitrite a little bit quicker you could do a 50% water change. That would bring you down too .5, but I’d let your tank work through it from there. Really just depends on your level of patience at this point