Glossary of Betta Terms?

lewk

Hey all -

I'm thinking about getting my first Betta, but before I do I'd like to learn a bit more about them. One thing I'd like to do is just get familiar with exactly what all these descriptive terms mean. I feel like I've got a good 1/2 of them down, and another half where I can say 'I know it when I see it' without being able to define it, but then every now and then I'm left confused. Is there a full (or close to full) list of terms that get used for Bettas somewhere out there? 

On 10/2/2022 at 9:30 PM, Hally M. said:

Which ones do u know so far!! I’m clueless on these terms your talking about 

Basically the ones im most familiar with are the ones talking about tail shapes, like the ones on this image i found online:

Betta Tail types | Betta fish types, Betta fish, Betta fish tank

For me, the more confusing part is on coloration. There are a ton of terms that I can't distinguish from looking at a fish, some of which are very similar: Koi, Nemo, Galaxy, Candy, Alien, Dragon, Samurai, Butterfly, Marbled, Grizzled, and im sure plenty more - a number of these are the 'i know it when i see its' but otherwise pretty confusing for me. 

I can relate to wanting to know a lot of information about a fish you want to get. But with betta's I found the best way to make a decision about the fish to get is just look at a lot of fish in real life.

They are all so different from each other. Not only the color and shape, but they also all have their own personality.

Betta fish come in so many shapes and sizes. There aren't any specific ones I would recommend because all are great! I would advise you to go to the fish store where you will purchase a Betta and stand looking at them all for awhile. I firmly believe that each has their own personality and you always feel a connection to a specific one. Test their reactiveness by putting your finger next to their cup, and get the one that you feel most fond of, colors and type aside.