Algae Growth

Algaefishowl

Hello I'm having a similar issue as the other poster,@MI Fish, with green algae. I haven't tried a treatment because I don't want to jeopardize the shrimp. Do you think it would? I dimmed the lights (brightened for the picture) I didn't notice a change in the algae presence. Also although an otto is in the picture, I have two, neither seem interested in eating the algae on the walls or the plants. Do they not typically eat that kind? 

Thank you for your help,

algaefishowl

algae.jpg

Do remember, it might take weeks/months to notice a difference in the amount of algae based off the change in lighting.  It's one of those things that can take a lot of patience to get perfect.  Algae will react to changes much faster than your more complex plants, but both take time to grow/die back.

Edited by RockMongler

On 10/2/2022 at 2:00 PM, Algaefishowl said:

Yes it is hard to remove even with a scraper. Most likely you are right that it is green spot algae. I'm going to try increasing the phosphate and scrap it off the walls. Any idea how to remove it from the plants?

Thank you for your help

This will kill it so it does not continue to grow but not remove it. Some critters eat some of it off leaves but some dead still remained during testing. Some GSA did eventually erode off in tanks that had no shrimp or snails to eat it. 

• Love 1