Pale paleatus corys

TeeJay

Of guys I have a couple of my older to me Cory's that have become very pale over the past couple of months. I didn't think much about it at first but then it started to worry me after awhile. They still eat really well. I see no inflamed gills or hard breathing. They don't just lay around and are still very active. I'm not sure how old they were when I got them. So could they just be getting that old and loosing color due to age.

The tank stays at 0 ammonia and nitrites. Nitrates stay around 20-30 since it's a planted tank. Gh is about 12 and my kh stays at a steady 4. I made a short video so you can see them in contrast to others in the tank. It's the best I could make with my horrible phone. @Colu

https://youtu.be/XzsdOngrFqo

Edited by TeeJay

Loss of color you describe can be caused by stress disease or over product of the slime coat caused by poor water quality your water parameters look fine any new fish add to the tank recently in the video it looks like it's only affecting the largest Cory's did they all get colour loss at the same time or did it happen gradually @TeeJay

Edited by Colu

Ok so I started with 6 originally. Now that I think back on it they always have seemed that light ever since I got them. I have had the original crew for about 3-4 months. Then I went back and got 11 more. I put 6 of those 11 in my 29 gal tank and the other 5 in with the 6 in there own tank. All fish are from the same lfs. That has since retired and gon out of business. The new fish have been with the originals 6-7 weeks now

Edited by TeeJay

On 9/30/2022 at 12:29 AM, TeeJay said:

Ok so I started with 6 originally. Now that I think back on it they always have seemed that light ever since I got them. I have had the original crew for about 3-4 months. Then I went back and got 11 more. I put 6 of those 11 in my 29 gal tank and the other 5 in with the 6 in there own tank. All fish are from the same lfs. That has since retired and gon out of business. The new fish have been with the originals 6-7 weeks now

Nothing jumping out at me there eating ok active from what I can see from the video paleatus Cory's have been captive bred for a long time it could be a natural color mutations your seeing if they were that colour when you got them 

On 9/29/2022 at 8:10 PM, Colu said:

Nothing jumping out at me there eating ok active from what I can see from the video paleatus Cory's have been captive bred for a long time it could be a natural color mutations your seeing if they were that colour when you got them 

Right that's what I was thinking I mean they have never acted unusual always eat well. They stay active and are never lethargic. I'll always keep an eye on them and if anything changes I'll keep you posted 

• Like 1