Calcium deficiency, or was this snail's shell damaged?

meadeam

This poor snail's shell is looking pretty bad.  I've read that the cannot repair damage to shells.  I can't imagine how this snails shell could have been damaged, so it must be from a deficiency.

PXL_20220926_172435261_MP.jpg.71feaf00bebd3ec0d2857373e27c186a.jpg

None of my snails have had this before that I know of.  They eat mostly what is in the tank, and broccoli + carrots because that is what I have in the freezer.  I guess I'll have to give them more sources of calcium.  Invertebrates in general have been reproducing and growing well in my tanks, hopefully this on is an outlier.

Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate - 0, 0, 40ppm

pH  - 7.4

GH  - 200ppm

KH  - 50ppm

Temp - 77F

Edited by meadeam

That is an old chip One of mine right now has it from vacationing in the carpet and pretending to be a cat toy. It looks like the underneath growth plate is healthy and growing. Nothing to worry over at this point. I find zoomed nano banquet blocks an excellent source of calcium, magnesium and yummy spirulina. The need to eat calcium and magnesium to build new shell as well as calcium in water to keep it healthy. it may have had a weak spot and parasnailed from the top onto something. 

• Like 2

On 9/26/2022 at 3:03 PM, Guppysnail said:

I just got home so could blow up the photo more. You do want to increase dietary calcium and protein. The shell looks a touch thin. So nano block is great. They also require protein food so giving them wafers after dark just for them helps. Any wafer they like is fine. 

Thanks, will do!

On 9/27/2022 at 4:23 PM, Cinnebuns said:

That type of damage can be caused by things other than calcium. The most common is over mating or genetics. Is there a male that's on it a lot?  If so I would seperate so it doesn't get worse. 

Interesting.  I'll see if I can notice.  The problem is all of the snails in this tank are the same color, and they are usually hidden in the plants.  They go up on the glass at night though.  I'll have to sneak up on them.