For Bonsai Fans

PineSong

I used to have and make bonsai but got out of it when I went on vacation and my bonsai didn't survive with my plant sitter. I actually converted one of my dead bonsai (a Chinese elm) into an aquarium bonsai. Let me know if you're interested in seeing that. 

However, I really appreciate the art of bonsai in relation to how it may have influenced modern aquascaping. Especially with the theme of trying to recreate nature on a smaller scale in our homes. 

• Like 2

Of course we are interested in your converted Elm, @AnimalNerd98!

I agree about the connection between bonsai and aquascaping. I admire them both but do not have the patience or the attention to detail needed to pursue them myself. About as close as I can come to is wanting my tanks to Contain the natural elements of plants, wood, and stone.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2022 at 8:49 AM, PineSong said:

I enjoyed this video and thought others might like it, too. I don't keep bonsai but do appreciate the attention to detail.

In my mind at least, some of my trees have better backstories than appearance.  I 've spent hours watching bonsai videos, and gazing at various galleries.  Overwintering the outdoor trees has proven to be a totally frustrating experience, so I tend to fixate on just keeping the tree alive.  I follow the 'American style'  ie: anything goes.🙈 

• Like 1