Betta unhappy in larger tank

JessicaK

We temporarily had a young betta fish in a 2.5 gallon aquarium, as the five gallon was cycling and having minor issues.  When we moved him to the five-gallon aquarium he seemed happy...for a few minutes.  Then he started freaking out.  In the 2.5 gallon aquarium her wasn't getting upset, but he was full on continuously flaring and freaking out in the five-gallon aquarium.  We moved him to the larger one to give him more space.  Is it possible for a betta to be overwhelmed by more open space? or is that out of the question?  TIA!

BTW, we moved him back in to the 2.5 until we can figure out what was wrong.  He appears to be happy and healthy right now.

• Like 1

Have you compared the water parameters between the two tanks? I have 5 tanks, all using the same water source, but the parameters are all different once the tanks are set up. Then, temperature, water flow. All factors. Decor, reflections, lighting.

Photos of the two tanks? Maybe some visuals would give some basis for guesses. We can figure it out! I'm sure! 😄 

On 9/24/2022 at 12:26 AM, JessicaK said:

The water parameters, plant life, and substrate are almost identical.  There was a mystery snail in the larger aquarium, but the betta didn't like the snail.  I just moved the snail to the 2.5 gallon (they have now swapped tanks, but are still separated).

Are the tanks in the same room?

Yes, the tanks are in the same room, about eight feet apart.  The 2.5 is a bookshelf, which provides more protection from light.  The 5.0 is on an oak chest of drawers.  They are in my daughter's room, so I can't really get decent pics or new parameter readings tonight.  I can probably do it all tomorrow, though.

I think it's because they are territorial. They have just been and checked out the 2.5 made sure there is no enemy hiding in the bushes and then woosh they are somewhere new. 

So your Betta is on high alert going eep how did I get here can I get back to my bit nope I'm lost. Right no idea who's patch this is best look big till I can check it out and know I'm safe.

Once he's found out he's boss fish again I would expect him to calm down.

I had to move my female betta to my 60gal (from a 15gal) community it took her weeks to start acting normally nothing in there is bothering her she just needs to find her way around.

On 9/24/2022 at 12:39 AM, JessicaK said:

Yes, the tanks are in the same room, about eight feet apart.  The 2.5 is a bookshelf, which provides more protection from light.  The 5.0 is on an oak chest of drawers.  They are in my daughter's room, so I can't really get decent pics or new parameter readings tonight.  I can probably do it all tomorrow, though.

Many its just unsettled by the move. See if it calms down in a couple days.

Thank you everyone.  I have never moved Bettas around much.  Our last Betta had such a mellow disposition that he didn't seem to react to his upgrade.  I only had this Betta in the new aquarium for about 20 minutes.  My husband though I was going to kill him, so we put him back in the 2.5 gallon.  I feel terrible, because the 2.5 is planted- there's not a lot of room!  It would make a great fry tank.  I will check parameters and take pictures, then get back with you.

Side note, could my daughter keep something in that 2.5 gallon?  Any ideas?

On 9/24/2022 at 1:24 PM, JessicaK said:

The ammonia spiked in the five-gallon aquarium, so I won't be moving the Betta anytime soon.  I will have to figure out why this tank spiked.  Could it be the green beans that I fed the snail?

Yep, could be. Were the green beans in there more than a day? 

Maybe if you move some more plants into the 5 gal, it will help the betta feel more secure & eat up any extra ammonia quickly. 

The 2.5 would be good for snails and/or shrimp. 

On 9/24/2022 at 5:57 PM, Anjum said:

Yep, could be. Were the green beans in there more than a day? 

Maybe if you move some more plants into the 5 gal, it will help the betta feel more secure & eat up any extra ammonia quickly. 

The 2.5 would be good for snails and/or shrimp. 

Yes, the green beans were in there for several days, because the snail wasn't finding them.  Was that a no-no?

On 9/24/2022 at 6:09 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Might be a difference in flow, causing stress.

Thank you for bringing that up.  They are supposed to be the same filter, but I will keep an eye on the flow when we try this again.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 6:16 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

There is a lot of stuff on etsy you can find, maybe there is something for your tank that would baffle the output of the filter. Depending what it is, might reduce that issue.  @Chick-In-Of-TheSea is awesome with all the etsy stuff and @Goldie Blue has gone through pretty similar issues with their betta and flow.

Thank you!

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 5:13 PM, JessicaK said:

Yes, the green beans were in there for several days, because the snail wasn't finding them.  Was that a no-no?

Yeah, I think the general recommendation is 12-24 hours in the tank. But luckily there wasn't fish in there, you can remedy it quickly enough. 

On 9/24/2022 at 7:17 PM, JessicaK said:

Thank you!

He also may have been seeing his reflection and getting angry about that. My guy in my 10 gallon had to have the back glass AND sides blacked out because he was so mad all the time, and it led to some stress/health issues. If you see him constantly flaring that could be an issue. I leave the lights off almost all the time in his tank too. He is super anger fish.

As for flow issues, my Goldie Blue was in my 55 gallon tank and miserable. He lived in his floating log (which is a horrible item to place in a betta tank, led to me pulling my hair out for MONTHS because it gave both of them fin rot) and he never came out. I moved him into a Fluval Flex and stuck pre-filter sponges over the out flow stems and he is a happy camper these days.

In my 10 gallon, as mentioned I had to black the sides out, and I also have a pre-filter sponge on his outtake (it's a nano canister tank filter) , I've found both my bettas are just plain miserable in anything but a trickle of a flow, so yeah flow can and will lead to bigger problems and shorten their life span. 

I also replaced all my betta logs with 3D printed tubes, See Shelters, or hides from Etsy. I've bought from a few stores, but the thing to look for is smooth edges and dark tubes for plenty of hiding spaces. ANYTHING with sharp edge (most decorations from chain pet stores etc) can lead to fin rot if you're not careful. The simplest things you would never think of can hurt them.

If you can't get a pre-filter sponge fast enough, you can use tall fake or real plants and put it right in front of the flow to help slow it down, I have even seen people use plastic bar soap holders that they suction onto the side of the glass so the flow falls into that and disperses it better.

Not sure if I answered all or any of the questions here as I just quickly browsed the topic lol, but if I can help in anyway just shoot me a tag! I had to become much more knowledgeable on bettas in this last year going through a handful of my own crazy aquatic emergencies, so I am happy to share anything that might help!

On 9/24/2022 at 1:36 PM, JessicaK said:

I feel terrible, because the 2.5 is planted- there's not a lot of room!

Also, the more plants in a betta tank, especially the more roots from pothos on top, things like that, the better. They LOVE hiding spots and wedging themselves in between or on top of leaves.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 6:24 PM, Anjum said:

Yeah, I think the general recommendation is 12-24 hours in the tank. But luckily there wasn't fish in there, you can remedy it quickly enough. 

Thank you.  IF we have to feed green beans again, I will stick to that time frame!

• Like 1