Baby Rabbit Snails or Mylasian Trumpets?

jwcarlson

I bought two rabbit snails back around Christmas '21.  Have seen zero babies or egg sacks.  Three weeks ago, I picked a couple more up figuring we have two of the same sex.  Haven't seen any eggs, but tonight we got home later than normal and I flipped the light on and saw about 12 of these in a couple different sizes.  Me and the kids were excited thinking they were baby rabbit snails, but I got to thinking the time doesn't add up as I kmow rabbit snails breed slowly. 

So are these mylasian trumpets? Pick of one of the adult rabbits attached.  I have added no new plants for probably six months.

20220907_195108.jpg

20220907_195105.jpg

20220212_110719.jpg

I've not seen/experienced it yet, but I thought they still lay some sort of short term egg when they're ready.  Still, I don't think any of the timeline makes sense for them to be rabbits.  I guess I will know soon enough if they keep growing.  The shells also don't look like the adults who all look the same as the one pictured. 

Again, I'm no expert at cone shaped snails AT ALL but the pic of the last one actually looks like a faunus ater to me, common name devils spike snail. I believe they breed in brackish water if that is what it is. Idk if I've seen a black rabbit like that but it's possible they exist and I don't know it. That just throws another ID mess into the mix lol. I thought that the first time I read this and dismissed it but it REALLY looks like a faunus ater to me so I had to bring it up. 

Screenshot_20220909-140351_Chrome.jpg.a1755d7162ea2f270fe0fd7a87ffb31a.jpg

If it is indeed a faunus ater and not a rabbit that would practically confirm its MTS since faunus ater breed in brackish. 

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1