My newest 60 gallon project (part 2)

Here is Part 2 of my latest 60 gallon project. For anyone who is interested take a look at Part 1 for everything before this. Part 1

So I really wanted to do a 3D background, but there were several things that I was just not going to be able to overcome without spending a bunch of money. So I decided to paint the back of the tank a gloss black. One thing I learned is that I should have followed the directions and waited 24 hours between coats, otherwise the paint does orange peel. Oh well, I'll be able to hide those problem areas. 

669216157_IMG_52532.JPG.793fd6aa1b74edcc97ad5c704e7a9801.JPG

IMG_5255.JPG.e58996d7031b4ec66cbdc4d57e58909a.JPG

Next was the hardscape. I am going with a river/steam theme. Finding the rocks I wanted was difficult despite searching several different "free" places, so I had to go to the local landscape supply and select some river rock. I picked out a few hundred pounds, but in the end only used about 1/4 of that. I knew that would be the case but I wanted a variety to work with once I got home and could see it with the lighting. Then today I went to find some driftwood. I ended up finding some really great pieces, but there was no way to fit it all into the tank. Again, I like having more than I need so I can play around to find the right piece. After I got everything in its place with the help of a good friend (it took several hours of moving, debating, arguing, and moving again), I had to soak the driftwood. So I took a ton of pictures, pulled the wood out and have it soaking. IMG_5256.JPG.f5679860c5e1e918787e043fd61a8a07.JPG

IMG_5259.JPG.676f2d5c5892c4d17c548294ea504f70.JPG

So now I am at a work stoppage until the wood soaks long enough not to float, plus we have this new storm coming into the Gulf, and currently my house is in its crosshairs, plus my job keeps me busy during these storms. 

On a side note, I have a bunch of left over stones and driftwood if anyone is nearby and interested in buying/trading any. 

• Like 3

That driftwood is amazing, when you put it all back in after it is water logged, I would try moving the driftwood to the left side so the main vertical branch is not in the center of the tank. Have you decided on what you are going to stock this with? I love the idea of a big group of community fish.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Urbanaquatics said:

That driftwood is amazing, when you put it all back in after it is water logged, I would try moving the driftwood to the left side so the main vertical branch is not in the center of the tank. Have you decided on what you are going to stock this with? I love the idea of a big group of community fish.

So to hit on a couple things that you mention (which is all great stuff, and I fully embrace a little outside opinions, so thank you), this tank will be full viewed from three different sides because it is in the walking path between the main entrance and walking by the kitchen to get to the living room, so I struggled to make it eye catching from all angles. I found that if it was in the middle it seemed to be a good balance. Also I am using the tank cross brace to help hold that wood down. 

So that is why I did what I did yesterday, but today is a new day and after I have stopped and looked at it hundreds of times today (its a blessing and a curse to work from home sometimes) I feel that the rocks and hard scape need to be raised a on the left side. If I move that big piece left as you suggested I could also increase the hight of the rocks on the left, and then possibly transition something a little lower on the far right with either another small piece of wood or another medium sized rock. It would give a gradual "visual slope" going from left to right. 

Thoughts? 

Thanks again for the input. 

You can definitely do that, I would put that piece in the left back corner with enough room between the vertical piece and the side glass to put in a big amazon sword or some vals and crypts retrospiralis for some easy plants that would maintain the view from that side. You have a lot of height with that tank, so a big sword would fit well. Then you can taper your rock work down so its almost like the branch is a tree trunk on the riverbank between the rocks.

You could also just keep it as is and add a bunch of bigger/tall growing plants on either side to give it that height you are looking for with the plants instead of trying to rescape it.

12 minutes ago, Urbanaquatics said:

You can definitely do that, I would put that piece in the left back corner with enough room between the vertical piece and the side glass to put in a big amazon sword or some vals and crypts retrospiralis for some easy plants that would maintain the view from that side. You have a lot of height with that tank, so a big sword would fit well. Then you can taper your rock work down so its almost like the branch is a tree trunk on the riverbank between the rocks.

You could also just keep it as is and add a bunch of bigger/tall growing plants on either side to give it that height you are looking for with the plants instead of trying to rescape it.

Appreciate the input. I am planning on some Amazon Swords, Vallisneria, and some Hygrophila Angustifolia to name a few plants I am eyeing, so those will help with the hight. 

I know I am driving my wife nuts with this tank, but I think taking my time, playing with hard scape, looking at it for a few days, make adjustments, and then looking at it for another couple days until its just right is what will really make it something great. 

• Like 1