Sword Plant Never Came Back

Cherie

I bought this large, gorgeous sword plant from my LFS several months ago. Some of the leaves died back, but it also produced new ones. It rooted like mad. I added root tabs and some easy green. I also have fairly high nitrates in the tank. I often lose plants - they die back and never return. This mostly happens with stem plants. I don’t know if my fish tear them up or if there’s just a deficiency. There’s tons of mulm in the sand. 

Details:

RO water with equilibrium, acid buffer and alkaline buffer

Temp 77-82 

50gal with 2 turquoise, 3 goyder river, and 2 yellow rainbows. Also 3 Dennison barbs, 1 bn pleco, 7 red phantom tetras and snails. 

Very stable parameters:

pH 8

0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 30-40 nitrate

kh 3, gh 6-8

fluval light set according to the picture below. The sword is off to the side where the light is less strong but it was growing fine for awhile there. Light is 48” and doesn’t cover all the way to the edges. However the other plants on the right side in the “shade” seem to flourish. 

Photos: 

What the plant looked like when I got it (stock photo)

What’s left of the plant  

The full tank - the plant is all the way on the left in the back 

FluvalSmart light settings

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

005E657B-C33E-48F5-BCDD-FAF9734D5E7D.jpeg

0743F504-9FD1-4F67-BAAC-1C90D5242745.jpeg

D5C4D275-A966-4A6F-8203-675E5FAF0981.jpeg

76988D14-2584-4541-B978-348A4B1C3FEB.png

That looks like a plant that became fish lunch- from what you list for the stocking, none are really known to eat plants (especially not robust plants like swords). I have heard SOME anecdotal stories of BN plecos chowing on swords, but have never experienced this myself as long as I am including some greens in their diets. Plus, this would be very slow and noticeable and they wouldn't eat down to the root ball. 

I can't think of any reasons that you'd be losing the sword but able to successfully maintain crypts.

Was the sword having issues with frequently being uprooted/disturbed? I know roots often have trouble with sand- sometimes it's too packed for the roots to advance, and other times the sand is too loose and the plant cannot secure itself. 

Edited by asondhi
misread post

Fish are listed in the original post. The plant was planted and then uprooted initially and it sent out a ton of roots and pulled itself down towards the sand. I replanted it a week or so later. 
It’s pool filter sand so hopefully a little less packed than finer sand. 

On 9/5/2022 at 8:11 AM, Cherie said:

Fish are listed in the original post. The plant was planted and then uprooted initially and it sent out a ton of roots and pulled itself down towards the sand. I replanted it a week or so later. 
It’s pool filter sand so hopefully a little less packed than finer sand. 

Hmm, likely not the sand then. 

I have also heard of some water softening systems using salt as a means to soften the water and that this often negatively affects plants, with some more sensitive than others.
I'm not sure if RO water is the same but maybe someone more knowledgeable than myself can chime in on it. 

Sometimes the plant might be in the midst of putting out a new leave when you buy it and htat leaf might have been emersed (did you notice if the style of leave had actually changed to submersed) ? Also i'm very confused by your water condition - it sounded like pure ro with buffers added. Are you adding any root tabs or similar for nutrient. If you are truly concern if the plant  is still alive you can try to remove some of the gravel around it and see if the roots are white  -if so then it is probably just taking its time to convert.  

On 9/11/2022 at 7:21 AM, Cherie said:

Bummer but thank you!

Sorry to be the bearer of the bad news, but on a positive note this is a great opportunity to start fresh,  and buy new  plants! Plant(s) being the operative word, in my expirence you are going to be more successful when starting with a few selections than if you bought 1 plant and tried to populate the tank with it.