Tank Design Inspiration - updated. Need input

Cinnebuns

MAKING LEMONADE OUT OF LEMONS!!

If you didn't catch my other post, I had a cycle crash. In the process of pulling all the animals out I also uprooted almost all of the plants. I've realized this could be an opportunity to redesign if I choose!  I think I choose. I would like some inspiration and input on ideas. 

Tank Specs

It is a 29 gallon. Stocking is as follows:

Male guppies, panda cories, hillstream loaches, forktail blue-eyed rainbow fish (might move these idk), a few otos and mystery snails. 

20220830_235841.jpg.ff4f4dd96aca417d3056a104707449cf.jpg

Inspiration 

First of all I would love any past or current designs you might have to inspire me that would fit roughly this size and stocking. I do tend to like a few fake decor pieces blended with natural but it doesn't have to be. Below I will show what decor I have on hand and possible ideas I have for it. 

Plants

So I do kinda want to keep the amazon sword where it is. Other than that the plants are open game. I have a lot of different species on hand. Let's see if I can remember them all...nvm. after typing out it even half of them I thought "ain't nobody want to read all this" so let's just say I have options lol. Not opposed to buying a few either. 

Decor Options

This is where my ideas from the past year that I either have or have done already all come out. I'll start with what has been in the tank. 

This is the first decor piece I ever bought and is my favorite to this day. It was my inspiration for my last design. I called the design "fairy forest."  I imagined this fairy living in this hut and going around to visit the various places in the tank. It originally came with very brightly colors plastic plants on it but I pulled those off and planted live on. 

20220831_121928.jpg.7760352f39ee1f5d89811fad46ed94e2.jpg

This piece I originally loved but have grown to not appreciate it as much. Sometimes fish will swim though it but I feel like I can supply something better that takes up less space for that role if I choose. I do find it collects a nice amount of algae sitting right under the out flows so the hillstream loaches and snails are often on it. 

20220831_121937.jpg.d36d510c213aa0dbf9a88e7c42bd468b.jpg

This piece I'm really kinda torn on mostly because I have spent some time and love on it. It's kinda breaking down tho and is getting ugly. It does actually do a decent job of supplying hiding places for fish. It originally had plastic plants but I pulled them off and planted live. I had some ideas for this that never fully worked yet. Not sure if I wanna try to make those happen or not. It's possible to move this to another tank. 

20220831_123019.jpg.9b99283b0bc46bdf27304f7219421660.jpg

This one I'm not completely sold on but it's an option. I got it with a bunch of stuff with a tank. It's kinda cool but also large. Not sure...

20220831_122036.jpg.ea6c95c153055520b515d60fed2352d8.jpg

Ok this is something I have wanted to do and might now take the opportunity. This is a tree base I could glue moss or buce ($$$) or anubias on. Kinda like the bonsai trees. I've always wanted to do this so this might be a winning choice. 

20220831_122022.jpg.ba78069663eaec75bf9849a2ca9e7048.jpg

I've never actually used driftwood other than cholla in my shrimp tank but I have these 2 pieces. I took individual pics then one of them on top of the tank tank size comparison. 

20220831_122459.jpg.d43229c8d69f132e1f1fbf7ef5c4f2a8.jpg

20220831_122509.jpg.8097bb6f9be1da314fea3de2b0d6d6da.jpg

20220831_122530.jpg.3996f308fa3a145f73e46c778cd0343a.jpg

I might also browse other decor pieces and see if something sticks out to me and pulls me in. 

Ty for taking the time and I look forward to those ideas!!

Edited by Cinnebuns

Literally doing the same thing over the next few days, redoing a 29 completely. I’m a terrible aquascaper, I have one tank that I’m completely happy with then aspects of others I like. My current course of action rather then picking from things I have like you have was to find an inspiring nature picture I really enjoy or “theme” of some sort I loved looking at then put it together in my own interpretation like a puzzle in my tank using things I already have. With this being said I thought it might be worth mentioning bc you have a lot at your disposal it sounds like so perhaps a little googling images and something will inspire you as well. You could always go jungle themed when in doubt and plant the heck out of it and let it take its own course as well.

tI really like a triangle style layouts. This one from Green Aqua is a good example. Building up wood or stone on one side of the tank that tapers off at the other end always seems to look good. You could start on the left so your Sword stays more or less in the same place. DEFBFBD6-21E0-4338-970E-8F481C8C3545.jpeg.c5d0be44c524b71b5ea8f600403eefd9.jpeg

• Love 2

This is my currents 29g setup 

16 Cardinal Tetra

6 Panda Cory

2 otocinclus 

4 Nerite snails

4 Ghost Shrimp

6 Cherry Shrimp

Hardscape is Spider wood and 2 Medium Lava rock

plants are Argentine Sword, Water Sprite, Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus, Java Fern. Anubias Barteri, Anubias Coffeefolia, Java Fern Windelov, Red Dwarf Aquarium Lily and a little Java Moss

ABF5970A-CDCF-49D2-933B-DA7D51566F28.jpeg

7B8C6726-22C3-40E0-A620-FC8D8BECBBFC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 8/31/2022 at 1:33 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

Literally doing the same thing over the next few days, redoing a 29 completely. I’m a terrible aquascaper, I have one tank that I’m completely happy with then aspects of others I like. My current course of action rather then picking from things I have like you have was to find an inspiring nature picture I really enjoy or “theme” of some sort I loved looking at then put it together in my own interpretation like a puzzle in my tank using things I already have. With this being said I thought it might be worth mentioning bc you have a lot at your disposal it sounds like so perhaps a little googling images and something will inspire you as well. You could always go jungle themed when in doubt and plant the heck out of it and let it take its own course as well.

I love this idea that's great!  The best part is it's not being inspired by another tank but making your own interpretation of something else which feels more artsy. I love it!

On 8/31/2022 at 1:42 PM, Anjum said:

I'm a big fan of driftwood in a tank & those are some nice pieces. I'd be using those for sure. I'm thinking an underwater woodland theme with that little fairy house & that bonsai form with moss attached 😍

This is kinda the lines I was thinking too. I like the woodland description. Especially since it can be like the fairy cleared out an area of the forest from the previous setup lol.

On 8/31/2022 at 2:11 PM, Patrick_G said:

tI really like a triangle style layouts. This one from Green Aqua is a good example. Building up wood or stone on one side of the tank that tapers off at the other end always seems to look good. You could start on the left so your Sword stays more or less in the same place. DEFBFBD6-21E0-4338-970E-8F481C8C3545.jpeg.c5d0be44c524b71b5ea8f600403eefd9.jpeg

I was just remembering that I'm absolutely in love with dragonstone. From what I remember tho it's not very affordable but I could be wrong. I  could maybe do a small pile of dragon stone with my driftwood pieces above. 

On 8/31/2022 at 2:37 PM, Jacob Hill-Legion Aquatics said:

This is my 10 gallon it’s smaller and I’m not good at aquascaping but it’s something. 
559160FD-FACB-42C8-82B5-7BA7F8526932.jpeg.23955b5f836b9046c6a6b1829a699a1c.jpeg

^All super easy plants that don’t need high light or co2.

Those big stone are cool. Where did you get them?

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 10:40 AM, Cinnebuns said:

I've never actually used driftwood other than cholla in my shrimp tank but I have these 2 pieces. I took individual pics then one of them on top of the tank tank size comparison. 

yes! A natural tank!  The wood looks pretty awesome.  Moss on the top / surface of the mopani is a great start if you like the "grassy hill" type of a look.

The nice thing about the driftwood you have is that it provides verticality. Especially in a 29G.  Let me show you something...... brb (snapping photos and moving hardscape for demo)

Alright, because of the shape of the wood you have, you can do something like this and potentially use rocks in such a way to give it movement.  It's "active" wood in terms of it's a branch with texture and twists and branches and not a stump.  It makes your eye look along it, rather than at it. 

I have 2-3 pieces that were just dirt cheap but they are what I had available and what I started with.  Pop on some plants and you turn that into an amazing little environment for a lot of plants, fish, and it's visually interesting.  It looks much better in person 🙂

Current setup:
20220831_125020.jpg.e7823a91c7f863c8028aa35473e7e0cf.jpg

Adjusting it to be "taller" to fit the tank better:
20220831_125347.jpg.27395816fa200e32687d0cc4f37e5761.jpg

I can flip these things around and there's a ton of ways to place them and visually make it interesting, but to give the fish a cave/hide as well.  It's how I use the random bits of hardscape that don't quite work well, but I just like the look of each piece individually.  It's 1/2-1/3 the price of going out and buying some designer WYSIWG pieces, but I really like having this type of a tank and seeing what can be done with some effort and futzing around.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 2

On 8/31/2022 at 12:40 PM, Cinnebuns said:

was just remembering that I'm absolutely in love with dragonstone. From what I remember tho it's not very affordable but I could be wrong. I  could maybe do a small pile of dragon stone with my driftwood pieces above. 

I think it’s crazy how expensive it is, but it’s great stuff. I think I’ve been paying about $3/lb  at the local LFS. I think it’s a bit cheaper online. I think it would be cool if you could lay it out so the wood sort of wraps around a pile of dragonstone. 

On 8/31/2022 at 2:48 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

The nice thing about the driftwood you have is that it provides verticality

Ah good point!  That is something i would be taking away by taking out those stones is the vertical. 

brb (snapping photos and moving hardscape for demo)

This made me giggle and I totally imagined you doing it super quick like lol

Alright, because of the shape of the wood you have, you can do something like this and potentially use rocks in such a way to give it movement. 

Omg I'm loving it. More and more I'm marrying myself to the idea of dragonstone. Maybe I can build a pile of that and the wood on top of it. I def have the plants to make attaching work as well as a friend I'm making a trade with soon who has a ton of different mosses. 

On 8/31/2022 at 3:13 PM, Patrick_G said:

I think it’s crazy how expensive it is, but it’s great stuff. I think I’ve been paying about $3/lb  at the local LFS. I think it’s a bit cheaper online. I think it would be cool if you could lay it out so the wood sort of wraps around a pile of dragonstone. 

I think I'm almost fully convinced this is gonna have dragonstone and probably both pieces of driftwood. I just sold 2 other pieces. Kinda makes me regret it for options but I kept the 2 I liked the best anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/31/2022 at 12:48 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Current setup:
20220831_125020.jpg.e7823a91c7f863c8028aa35473e7e0cf.jpg

Adjusting it to be "taller" to fit the tank better:
20220831_125347.jpg.27395816fa200e32687d0cc4f37e5761.jpg

One more, sorry, I had to re-glue some anubias before I could snap the photo.  These are all the same 2 cheap pieces of wood and the same two rocks. Just very interesting placement options!  Fish enjoy the tank to be moved around too and when you see them to have a place they like, especially the centerpiece fish, you'll find a good spot and everything will settle scape-wise.

20220831_143547.jpg.da2ed3958f98058cb1642952041a1582.jpg

@Cinnebuns ^^

On 8/31/2022 at 1:38 PM, Cinnebuns said:

@Patrick_G @nabokovfan87

How would I know how many lbs I need to buy?

Of dragonstone

It really, really depends. I typically try to find 20lb or larger "lots".  Larger lot meaning, you have a good chance of getting a much larger stone.  If you get a per lb box, you might get something like:

10lb package will include 2-3 medium stones and the rest will be small

20lb package will include 1 large/medium stone, 3-4 medium, and rest small

30lb package will include 2-3 large/medium stones, 3-4 medium, and rest small

Ultimately, it really depends on what size stone you're looking for and how much / many of them.  The ones I got from ACO were WYSIWYG style, but they haven't had that for a little while.  There is other places to check out and you can get similar or "random" lots.  The same type of rules would apply generally, more lbs = larger stones overall.  Home depot and Lowes used to sell them from lifegard aquatics in lots like this for crazy cheap.  Once youtubers got wind, the masses knew, and now that's not as readily available.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2022 at 4:32 PM, Pepere said:

I know that for myself, if I were in your shoes of redoing the tank, I would start with bare tank and put in undergravel filter plates myself.

I would get rid of the hang on back filter and have a new glass cover without the hole.

I almost put them in when I started but was talked out of it.

Allowing myself to be talked out of it is one of my biggest regrets with this tank.

That's wise because it's like my 1 opportunity to do stuff like that but funds turn into the issue there. I'm already debating if I can even afford the dragon stone. I might check out under gravel filter prices tho since that sounds like the best upgrade listed. 

On 8/31/2022 at 1:38 PM, Cinnebuns said:

@Patrick_G @nabokovfan87

How would I know how many lbs I need to buy?

Of dragonstone

I not sure. I have only bought small amounts to use in nano tanks. Your best bet would be buying it local so you can choose nice pieces. I’m guessing somewhere between 10-20 lbs. The nice thing is that it’s full of holes so it’s not as heavy as some other aquascaping stone. 

On 8/31/2022 at 6:17 PM, Pepere said:

12.97 at Amazon for Pennplax.

$20.00 at your local Petco.

I guarantee it will be easier to add rocks after the fact than filter plates…

I legit just discovered a 25 lbs bag for $38 at petsmart. It showed my local didn't have it so I called to see if they could get it. Found out it's discontinued and there is only about 3 of them left within an hour away. It's not 100% guarantee yet but the manager might drive to a store 40 min away to pick it up for me! *knock on wood*  I have recently fallen in love with petsmart!

Edited by Cinnebuns

Today I was looking at a bunch of pics for inspiration. 

First I looked up some pics of aquascapes using dragon stone. From that I found I like some of the split ones as well as gluing plants onto the stone and/or wood. I kinda had an idea to do a decor piece to the left and an arrangement of dragon stone and possibly wood (not sure) to the right. 

@CJs Aquatics mentioned finding a landscape picture and imitating that. I love the idea. Seems more artsy to me rather than an aquascape imitating an aquascape. I found out dragon stone originates from Japan so decided to look up Japanese landscapes. 

Here's 3 I saved as possible inspiration:

f46cdb5b2d341a6cdaec20b000993ef9.jpg.b52ab233e9bee82b92fef197c86cb278.jpg

44784.jpg.f084730cfafd7dfaa697d568a8a88ee3.jpg

hellene-sau-japan-srgb.jpg.11e901e5ed3425f5f607dedd1e3b6d67.jpg

Especially in the first 2 you can see the idea of a pile on the right and something of interest to the left. Very rule of thirds. From the 3rd one I got the idea to maybe have the thing on the left be that tree I put in the post planted and such. 

This:

20220831_122022.jpg.a9fad38b86e6d8c789b4fb07abee9a33.jpg

There was some other pics including cherry blossoms that kinda made me think of ludwigia super red which I just got and def will use. 

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Love 1

I love this…….and it looks like I a lot of fun, if you end up doing any of these I would love to see your interpretation, I see mosses, I see different textures and color sands, I see a lot of diy, perhaps some pink flamingo crypts in one of them, perhaps some Snow White Anubias, so much potential…

On 9/2/2022 at 3:38 AM, CJs Aquatics said:

perhaps some pink flamingo crypts

OH MAN YOURE RIGHT!!  IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR AN EXCUSE TO GET PINK FLAMINGO AND I FOUND IT!!

On 9/2/2022 at 3:38 AM, CJs Aquatics said:

Snow White Anubias,

Have never heard of it. Evil of you to introduce me to intoxicating things like new plants. Only thing would would be a new fish or snail lol

I will say you should check out this post I made on another thread about the amazing deal I got on this dragon stone!

So I just looked up snow white anubias and you're right!!  It's perfect!!  Now to find it lol. Doesn't seem like a common one but idk. 

On 9/2/2022 at 4:41 AM, Cinnebuns said:

OH MAN YOURE RIGHT!!  IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR AN EXCUSE TO GET PINK FLAMINGO AND I FOUND IT!!

Have never heard of it. Evil of you to introduce me to intoxicating things like new plants. Only thing would would be a new fish or snail lol

I will say you should check out this post I made on another thread about the amazing deal I got on this dragon stone!

So I just looked up snow white anubias and you're right!!  It's perfect!!  Now to find it lol. Doesn't seem like a common one but idk. 

I remember that thread, gonna revisit it for reference 😉 truthfully this forum is the best and worse thing that’s ever happened to me lol I’m just starting to figure things out but the world of opportunities and ideas and projects and things I want that it’s inspired is endless…

I’m toying around with an idea myself, I have an ugly 10 gallon tank I’m gonna redo… picture this ….sand substrate, tons of bamboo plants growing straight up out of the tank, I got a pack of 6ft bamboo shoots from hobby lobby for cheap I’m gonna cut and make natural caves out of them bc it’s bamboo and it’s hollow, and natural to litter the substrate… the fish will be my red lizard whiptails I think they are called and maybe I will try some shrimp again (I suck with shrimp) needs revision and more plants but since you shared I figured I would share a plan as well…

On 9/2/2022 at 4:10 AM, CJs Aquatics said:

I’m toying around with an idea myself, I have an ugly 10 gallon tank I’m gonna redo… picture this ….sand substrate, tons of bamboo plants growing straight up out of the tank, I got a pack of 6ft bamboo shoots from hobby lobby for cheap I’m gonna cut and make natural caves out of them bc it’s bamboo and it’s hollow, and natural to litter the substrate… the fish will be my red lizard whiptails I think they are called and maybe I will try some shrimp again (I suck with shrimp) needs revision and more plants but since you shared I figured I would share a plan as well…

I'm big time digging using the bamboo as caves. It's almost like you read my mind. I'm sitting here considering how I can organize the dragon stone so it's not just pretty for me but functional for the fish. I'm realizing more that I def want any decor piece to not just serve me but them too. 

Ok, I want some plant suggestions. 

I took @CJs Aquatics advice and found some landscape pics for inspiration. I found out dragon stone is from Japan so I looked for landscapes from here. Here is 2 that called to me:

f46cdb5b2d341a6cdaec20b000993ef9.jpg.e4c940ea8267248c86ac458c3167c316.jpg

44784.jpg.bee6b0753a3a2ba96ccdc693f51452d6.jpg

I've decided on a design. I'm going to have a tree with that plastic base I have to the left and then most of the tank, probably to the right, the dragon stone and maybe driftwood. I have moss I can attach to the driftwood. Should I also attach to the dragon stone?

Next question is regarding the plant to use on the tree. @CJs Aquatics had an incredible suggestion of snow white anubias. I'm not entirely sure if that is in the budget unfortunately. Some buce looked interesting but that's an expensive choice too. I do have some buce wavy green already and I think my local petsmart has some for a reasonable price. I also have some anubias Nana petite as well as various mosses. The way the base is structured, I'm wondering if I'll need it on a mat to apply. Ideas?

20220831_122022.jpg.6f10d0704c77c5a5f0648eaf08a555af.jpg

Beyond that I haven't had much thought on other plants. One thing I do want to try to create from those pics is a representation of the cherry blossoms. I have some ludwigia super red. Maybe that will work? When I got that I also got cabomba. Maybe the 2 mixed will work as a background. Hopefully they survive this crash because I haven't had the energy to do anything with them except float them in the crashed tank which has a ton of nitrates for food. 

Finally I have a non-plant question. I've never actually played around with dragon stone and driftwood but I do plan to before setting it up. Ideally I want to make sure the setup serves both me and the fish and isn't ENTIRELY just something pretty to look at. Any suggestions of ways I can make like say a cave area or something yet keep it safe from tumbling?  I do have cories who may be sifting the gravel under it. 

1st off, congrats on this plan coming together it sounds like it will be an amazing tank/ scape.

as to your second question personally if it were me I wound not attach the moss to the dragon stone if I were going to to the wood. My reason is simple, both are seperate elements of the same scape. If you attach the moss to the stone it becomes a focal point over the stone, which nothing is wrong with that if you want the moss to be the focus, if you want the stone to be the focus I would leave it as is and accent it with plants.

third question what plant to use on the tree: I used to buy and try literally everything nonstop because I want it all. What I’ve learned is everything grows differently for different people in some regards. Im a big proponent of unless your trying to see if a new plant grows using what you have and are versed in. All of the plants you listed would work and look great just depends on what you like personally the most. As far as some different ones to perhaps try to create that effect it would most likely have to be a floater or a rhizome or a moss(unless I’m not thinking creatively enough). Maybe you could try one of ACO’s carpet plants and get that to work that would be cool to see some crypt parva on top of that tree in my opinion. Maybe some S. Repens would work also. 

not sure I understand question 4, I’m guessing you mean the tree itself being heavy enough to stay put? If that’s a correct interpretation of the question I would say it couldn’t hurt to apply it to a heavy mat of some sort. 

question 5, that Ludwigia will definately work to create a cherry blossom effect, perhaps a white sand would help in that portion? Or a white backdrop for that part, but it will definately show any algae that develops, the cabomba will work in the background as well it grows bushy and tall, honestly could work on the tree too if u wanted it to I would imagine.

question 6: dragon stone cave is kinda playing around with different formations on a counter top, then secure it once you have an iteration you like. It should be solid in the tank even with the cories but you can use the driftwood or bags or substrate behind it to hold it in place

im so excited to see this project when your done, this was just my thoughts on it