5.5G Upgrade

SugarBassJoe

Finally decided to pull the trigger and upgrade my 5.5G to a 10G. Waited this long because that 5.5G had been pretty well established for a little over a year, and i was having trouble bringing myself to tear it down and start over, would have like to have kept it but my current living situation wont allow me to have to many tanks. Every thing in the photos was transferred over from the 5.5G to the 10G, including that big amazon Sword which was the big centerpiece plant in the smaller tank. Unfortunately, while i was moving the dwarf lily, the plant had separated from he bulb, its been about a week and i haven't replanted it yet so i can keep an eye on it, and really haven't decided where to put it yet, stems and roots look fine, but i have no idea if i will survive, if any one reads this and has experience with this, any tips would be appreciated. Also decided to make the front half a sandy bottom, always like the way it looked but had trouble maintaining it in the past, been doing some research and going to give it another try, i know the shrimp and corys appreciate this, Mugger (my male betta) seems to be liking the extra space too . Finally I'm goin to be filling in the empty spaces with more Java Fern, and Dwarf Sagittaria to hope fully fill in the bottom a bit more and help with water quality, also going to be upgrading the light from the Finnex clip on to a Finnex stingray 20" to hopefully get the Dwarf Sagittaria really going. Not sure if I'm going to add more fish to the new tank in the future (probably excess guppies from my other tank) for now I'm just going to enjoy as is. 

(Tanks are little bit unclean in photos, was working on them at the time they were taken)image.jpeg.b7728f914ab25b46df830e51d8dde204.jpeg

10Gimage.jpeg.fa0ea53706518077c9530defbc9e5b63.jpegimage.jpeg.f81e490ba9ae49becd47f9900cc62cd5.jpeg

On 8/30/2022 at 8:35 AM, Joey1991 said:

Finally decided to pull the trigger and upgrade my 5.5G to a 10G. Waited this long because that 5.5G had been pretty well established for a little over a year, and i was having trouble bringing myself to tear it down and start over, would have like to have kept it but my current living situation wont allow me to have to many tanks. Every thing in the photos was transferred over from the 5.5G to the 10G, including that big amazon Sword which was the big centerpiece plant in the smaller tank. Unfortunately, while i was moving the dwarf lily, the plant had separated from he bulb, its been about a week and i haven't replanted it yet so i can keep an eye on it, and really haven't decided where to put it yet, stems and roots look fine, but i have no idea if i will survive, if any one reads this and has experience with this, any tips would be appreciated. Also decided to make the front half a sandy bottom, always like the way it looked but had trouble maintaining it in the past, been doing some research and going to give it another try, i know the shrimp and corys appreciate this, Mugger (my male betta) seems to be liking the extra space too . Finally I'm goin to be filling in the empty spaces with more Java Fern, and Dwarf Sagittaria to hope fully fill in the bottom a bit more and help with water quality, also going to be upgrading the light from the Finnex clip on to a Finnex stingray 20" to hopefully get the Dwarf Sagittaria really going. Not sure if I'm going to add more fish to the new tank in the future (probably excess guppies from my other tank) for now I'm just going to enjoy as is. 

(Tanks are little bit unclean in photos, was working on them at the time they were taken)image.jpeg.b7728f914ab25b46df830e51d8dde204.jpeg

10Gimage.jpeg.fa0ea53706518077c9530defbc9e5b63.jpegimage.jpeg.f81e490ba9ae49becd47f9900cc62cd5.jpeg

Looking very nice! For your bulb it will still regrow new stems if it is put back into the substrate to hold itself. In my experience once the lilies get seperated from the bulb they tend to slowly rot away so its best to discard. For your dwarf sagittaria its going to grow at a slow moderate pace because like vals they grow super fast when there isn't enough lighting and try to reach for the light. But if you do not want that tall dwarf just keep the lighting high and you should be fine.

On 8/30/2022 at 8:44 AM, ryan1 said:

Looking very nice! For your bulb it will still regrow new stems if it is put back into the substrate to hold itself. In my experience once the lilies get seperated from the bulb they tend to slowly rot away so its best to discard. For your dwarf sagittaria its going to grow at a slow moderate pace because like vals they grow super fast when there isn't enough lighting and try to reach for the light. But if you do not want that tall dwarf just keep the lighting high and you should be fine.

Awesome, thanks for the insight. I'll do my best to save the bulb. As for the dwarf sag. I'm hoping to get a low grass carpet effect out of the them. Fortunately/unfortunately I have duck weed in the tank (tried to keep it out, but that was next to impossible) it hasn't really taken hold yet but I know it will, so I know that's really going to block some light out like it does in my guppy tank.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Final iteration of the 10G, got my dwarf sag. and got lucky (in my opinion) and found java fern mats for sale, picked up 2 of those. They sat in the tank for bit as is before i made the time to put it all together, finally picked up some dragon stone for more hard scape ( was goin to use more driftwood, but felt it needed something else).  Either way the tank came out great in my opinion, so just wanted to share the progression of this tank.image.jpeg.2b343dd1da2eafbbd4c9188953bacfe2.jpegimage.jpeg.30389fc202c303fc077b718e243b7687.jpegimage.jpeg.fe97658901450bf0f4d8a542ceab7cbb.jpeg