What are these little white specs that keep appearing on my glass?

Pencapchew95

It’s hard to tell with the picture, I would say it could be a number of things ranging from actual live organisms to different forms of algae attempting to start, personally if your fish are happy and healthy, and parameters are good, i might try to document this week to week when I do maintenance and see what it turns out to be to decide the best course of action but I wouldn’t worry too much about it unless I saw firsthand the start of any adverse effect. If it’s a concern and not a display tank or heavily stocked, you could medicate the tank or do a more thorough cleaning, but I honestly wouldn’t recommend it unless after monitoring I noticed it to be harmful

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi I've had these in a couple tanks in the past, and never found them to harm fish or other critters. I was never able to figure out exactly what they are (and I'm pretty good at bio-sleuthing). Not even sure if they are fungal or algal. I would clean it off when it appears, and generally keep a tidy tank (feed lightly, change water, vac if you have gravel, clean filter media and etc). It would always go away after a time, but that time varied from weeks to months. 

Thanks everyone for your replies! I don’t know how to reply directly to you all but as far as I can tell it all moves with the water current . They don’t seem to move on their own and seem more like an algae of some sort. When I use a scrubber it comes off dark brown . I’ll try everyone’s suggestions for sure! I’ve just been doing regular water changes with more intense vaccing as well as keeping the glass clear of it . Cheers!