Fish Room Maintenance 2.0

CJs Aquatics

Hello all, so I took a day off work today and am planning to do a few impromptu projects in my small fish room. After glancing around I came up with a topic hopefully we can discuss together. Is it just me or do fish rooms tend to accumulate a lot of clutter? Everything usually has a purpose, some things get used daily, weekly, monthly, and others were good buys or bright ideas. Typically when we think of fish room maintenance we think of water changes, testing, feeding, culturing, separating etc. however I named this 2.0 because if you guys are anything like me, organizing is usually the put off maintenance priority. With this being said, I thought we could possibly discuss ways fish keepers go about organizing there fish rooms. Anyone have any diy ideas? Go to storage solutions? Methods to which they decide what to keep and what should go etc. Help me clean up this mess 😅

I can try to take one, it’s literally just a small room in the house with fish in it, 11 tanks 3 of them small, and 3 small “ponds”, the issue is the accumulation of foods, chemicals, filters, heaters, airline tubing, nets, diy things, etc. basically the equipment side of things is cluttering everything up, I have a closet full of things, I have 10-12 storage containers of things, just equipment everywhere lol I need to downsize it. My first thought was to categorize everything then keep an extra and eliminate everything else, idk, I love organization it seems it’s just gotten thrown out in here 

Ok, so I don’t currently have a fish room but we are converting the spare room into one… so I’ll tell you my plan.

sll of my tanks are small (under 30g) and I currently keep a box for each tank with items specific to that tank (food , meds, nets, siphons etc) near them (see pics below). However. When everything gets moved to the new room, each tank will get a label (Tank 1, tank 2…and so on) and the boxes will be labeled the same. They’ll go on a floating shelf above the tank or on a wire rack in one area of the room for easy access. 

Other items can be stored in bins or totes with labels (substrate, hardscape, filtration, etc) and stored either in the closet or on a shelf. 

DDB9CBEB-1171-4E67-AF73-075D0C46D249.jpeg

52F8E308-7361-4AC2-8ECE-6F62FDEE59FD.jpeg

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Love 1

In my years of fishkeeping I never thought to have a box for each tank, or label them. Thats a great idea. That way if it doesn’t fit in the box (with some exceptions of course) it’s probably adding to the extra clutter. I really appreciate that input. I feel like it’s such a simple solution but for someone like me that’s genius lol I think I’m going to be stealing some elements of what you described to put into practice and if nothing else you may have given my day today some direction. Thanks again @FLFishChik

On 8/24/2022 at 4:14 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

In my years of fishkeeping I never thought to have a box for each tank, or label them. Thats a great idea. That way if it doesn’t fit in the box (with some exceptions of course) it’s probably adding to the extra clutter. I really appreciate that input. I feel like it’s such a simple solution but for someone like me that’s genius lol I think I’m going to be stealing some elements of what you described to put into practice and if nothing else you may have given my day today some direction. Thanks again @FLFishChik

By all means, steal it! You’re welcome to any of my ideas, lol

• Thanks 1

Oh.. also.. I have a quarantine / hospital tank and anything I use specifically for that tank is stored IN the tank (except for the sponge filter- I keep that running in another tank until needed) and stored in the closet 

Edited by FLFishChik

On 8/24/2022 at 12:27 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

Is it just me or do fish rooms tend to accumulate a lot of clutter?

Definitely so.  I use 1 bin to store pretty much anything that's annoying.  Other stuff goes in the stand, behind, or next to the tank.  Barring that, it's literally kept inside the WC bucket for stuff I use during a WC (WC bin is also useful) because I don't have a real place to keep / store python or siphons and keep them clean.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 9:36 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

@nabokovfan87 I’m glad it’s not just me lol my water change bucket is often times more storage when not in use, I’m trying to simplify things as we speak…

I totally meant to clean up some mess this week.  It totally didn't happen!  Maybe tomorrow. 

I love that I have 5G buckets with lids because...
A. I can stack buckets and keep internal stuff dry.
B. I can use them when need be to keep things clean / stacked.  It's like a little shelf 😂