Heating/Insulating aquariums in Winter

LadyoftheLake

Here in north TX we just had a temperature swing from 97 to 50 in about three days, and these kinds of swings are typical for the area. admittedly, I forgot this before switching our tank from room temp to tropical stock, and now I'm concerned about keeping the temperature stable throughout the winter months. my husband and I live in an apartment, so improving the insulation for the room the tank is in isn't possible, so what other ways can you insulate an aquarium? tips for power outage or travel would be helpful too.

Do you have a heater in the aquarium? A heater should be able to deal with changes in room temperature. For example once the heating turns off at night and the room temperature drops the heater will run more often.

If you don't have a heater the simplest option is to get a heater.

In case of a power cut. You can do things like put a duvet over the aquarium to help it to retain heat. If you're worried about the electricity bill you could do it every night.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pigeonduck said:

Do you have a heater in the aquarium?

yes, that happened when I switched the tank to tropical. the trouble is that my apartment basically has no insulation, so the temperature swings are pretty drastic, and I don't want to stress the heater too much. we try not to run the heat much because it's basically trying to heat outdoors, so I was thinking of putting a black neoprene mat on as a background and maybe throw an emergency blanket over it at night.

There's an article in thesprucepets.com regarding keeping your aquarium insulated for power outtages that seems could apply to your situation. In a nutshell, cover aquarium (but NOT the top - will suffocate fish, nor any electrical/battery operated equipment - could overheat and cause fire or damage) with towels, blankets or cardboard. Place thermometer where you can read it without moving the insulation. If necessary, use hot water bottles MAX TEMP 100-120 and monitor closely. 

However, it seems like an aquarium heater might be better for the fish as well as reducing your time and frustration (and not being able to see them when they're covered) trying to keep it at a stable temp.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LadyoftheLake said:

yes, that happened when I switched the tank to tropical. the trouble is that my apartment basically has no insulation, so the temperature swings are pretty drastic, and I don't want to stress the heater too much. we try not to run the heat much because it's basically trying to heat outdoors, so I was thinking of putting a black neoprene mat on as a background and maybe throw an emergency blanket over it at night.

I live in Michigan in a house that's old enough the walls I haven't redone are still hollow. I run the normal sized heater for my tanks, and then I run a smaller heater a few degrees under it in any tank near a doorway or window, and I've not had major troubles with temp swings. A large enough volume of water helps keep temps stable. The only time that I can recall even noticing the second heater running is when I was having windows replaced in 50* weather.

• Thanks 1