Amazon sword and Monte Carlo growing issues

set them up for success, feed them heavy, change out water to keep them in optimal parameters, check/ adjust your lighting so it is adequate, and lastly give them time. I’m a proponent of deep sand beds/ large substrate layers. In my experience it’s shown me that typically the plants need more, more then we even think they do, or if not need at least can handle, however it’s a delicate balance bc the more you add to the tank the more opportunity to throw it out of whack you have, parameter issues, algae issues etc. Best advice, give it some time, feed the roots, and be prepared to make adjustments. I suppose CO2 can be mentioned as well, I don’t use it however if your looking for something to grow things faster these would be some options. Hope this helps…

Hi @J. Holmes

Both the swordplant and the Monte Carlo were likely grown emersed and are transitioning to submerged growth.  You will likely lose all the original leaves on the swordplant over the next couple of months but if conditions are good new leaves adapted for submerged growth will emerge during that time.  Hopefully you are dosing nutrients.  Based upon the leaves of the Anubias with hooked leaf tips and rolled margins it appears you may have fairly soft water, do you have any water parameter information?  -Roy

pH =
dKH =
dGH =
nitrates (ppm) =

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 5:18 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @J. Holmes

Both the swordplant and the Monte Carlo were likely grown emersed and are transitioning to submerged growth.  You will likely lose all the original leaves on the swordplant over the next couple of months but if conditions are good new leaves adapted for submerged growth will emerge during that time.  Hopefully you are dosing nutrients.  Based upon the leaves of the Anubias with hooked leaf tips and rolled margins it appears you may have fairly soft water, do you have any water parameter information?  -Roy

pH =
dKH =
dGH =
nitrates (ppm) =

I don’t have a way to test my water hardness. My nitrates are 0. 

Hi @J. Holmes

I regularly check my pH, dKH, dGH, and nitrate levels in my tanks.  Why? Because if water is too hard, or too soft, it can cause issues with growth specifically related to the uptake of nutrients as well as availability of calcium and magnesium.   Also, water parameters vary over the course of a year.  If there is a lot of rain (or snow) dissolved solid are lower, if there is a drought then solids become more concentrated and hardness increases.   I also have test kits for calcium and iron which I use less frequently.  If cycling a tank I also monitor ammonia and nitrite levels. 

If your nitrates are "0" what are you expecting your plants to utilize for growth?  Root tabs may or may not contain any nitrates or sources of nitrogen - many do not.  What nutrients are in the tabs you are dosing?

On 8/25/2022 at 8:41 AM, J. Holmes said:

I don’t have a way to test my water hardness. My nitrates are 0. 

I have a simple method.  It's not scientific, and won't give numbers, but it will give you a rough idea.  The next time you take a shower, after you've rinsed the soap off but are still wet, run the palm of your hand along the opposite forearm.  If it's kind of jerky, you have hard water.  If it's smooth, and feels like the arm is still soapy, you have soft water.

• Like 1

I agree with the above advice. I’m surprised that you have zero nitrates. What test are you using? The API liquid test will generate a false negative if you don’t follow the instructions carefully. Quite a few people have discovered this, including myself! 

Monte Carlo can be tough in a tank without Co2.  Like @Seattle_Aquaristmentioned, it’s usually grown in air and will need time to convert to being grown underwater. Strong light and adequate nutrients will be key.  

On 8/25/2022 at 12:23 PM, Patrick_G said:

I agree with the above advice. I’m surprised that you have zero nitrates. What test are you using? The API liquid test will generate a false negative if you don’t follow the instructions carefully. Quite a few people have discovered this, including myself! 

Monte Carlo can be tough in a tank without Co2.  Like @Seattle_Aquaristmentioned, it’s usually grown in air and will need time to convert to being grown underwater. Strong light and adequate nutrients will be key.  

I do use the API liquid and I try to be super careful and precise. Good to know it does that though! We just added more fish into the tank, so hopefully that will give some higher #s. 

On 8/25/2022 at 10:42 AM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @J. Holmes

I regularly check my pH, dKH, dGH, and nitrate levels in my tanks.  Why? Because if water is too hard, or too soft, it can cause issues with growth specifically related to the uptake of nutrients as well as availability of calcium and magnesium.   Also, water parameters vary over the course of a year.  If there is a lot of rain (or snow) dissolved solid are lower, if there is a drought then solids become more concentrated and hardness increases.   I also have test kits for calcium and iron which I use less frequently.  If cycling a tank I also monitor ammonia and nitrite levels. 

If your nitrates are "0" what are you expecting your plants to utilize for growth?  Root tabs may or may not contain any nitrates or sources of nitrogen - many do not.  What nutrients are in the tabs you are dosing?

I use the Co-op root tabs. I’ll need to check and make sure they do have it!