Seachem Flourish Dosing

How much should I dose in my planted tank?

20 gallons.

Low tech, low light 

Ph 8.2

Gh and Kh: Very High.

Fish and Snails.

I have a few other questions

Do I need to halve the dose because I have loaches?

Does it need to be refrigerated? It says on the bottle to refrigerate 3 months after opening.

Is it supposed to be a greenish brown color?

TIA

On 8/23/2022 at 5:31 AM, macdaddy36 said:

From the directions "Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 250 L (60 US gallons) "

With a 20 gallon tank you would dose 1/3 of that, or 1.7 mL

Also from the directions "For smaller doses, please note that each cap thread is approximately 1 mL"

Dosing 2 mL should not pose a problem unless your nitrates are already very high.

No

Does it need to be refrigerated? It says on the bottle to refrigerate 3 months after opening.

You have already answered this one.

Yepper

Flourish is pretty low in nitrogen as compared to EG fertilizers. I have a low light 29 gallon and Flourish barely moved my nitrates at all. I dose my 29 gallon (moderately planted) with EG 4 pumps/weekly (Sundays or Monday) and 5 ml of Flourish on Wednesday or Thursday). No algae here and fish are happy. I also have to dose Equilibrium 1/2 tablespoon monthly.  bi-weekly 25% water changes. 

I have PSO, Java Fern, Anubias nana, Anubias coin, red dwarf lilly, Crypt wend green, Crypt tropica. Italian Val (not growing tall thou), Salvina floating plant (30% coverage over top), java moss (small amount), christmas moss (small amount). I have a medium sponge filter and a small sponge filter (more for just encase I need a hospital or QT). 

pH 6.4, kH low 40 on ACO strip (waiting on a test kit), gH 150, nitrate 10- 20, nitrite 0 

6 blue tetra, 2 von rio tetra (waiting on more to come in to my LPS), 1 peacock gudgeon, 1 hillstream, 1 million juvenile MS (30), 1 adult MS, we don't talk about what happened to my momma snail. 🤐 And some random ramhorn snail juveniles like 3-4 --- hitchhikers/free loaders came on plants.   

On 8/23/2022 at 8:31 AM, macdaddy36 said:

20 gallons.

Low tech, low light 

Ph 8.2

Gh and Kh: Very High.

Fish and Snails.

I have a few other questions

TIA

Writing this after a bottle of red wine, so take it with a grain of salt, but I pretty much gave up on Seachem products. I never got Flourish to work for me, apart from the fact it is difficult to measure in smaller quantities, needs to be in the fridge, and the bottle always leaked it seemed. Seachem Prime smells like no other water conditioner. Does not "repair" slime coat. Easy Green line, no probs, super easy to dose, not leaking, no fridge, etc. Every other water conditioner does the same and more than Prime.

Edited by Cawafuoshi
  • Love 1

@Cawafuoshi nailed it on the head. I don't mean to sound like an aquarium coop fanboy, but easy green will make your life so much easier. For starters, Seachem flourish only has 0.07% nitrogen content. Not good at all. Easy Green has 2.66% nitrogen content, and it will not harm or even bother any living creature that will ever be in you tank.

On 8/26/2022 at 11:09 PM, Cawafuoshi said:

Writing this after a bottle of red wine, so take it with a grain of salt, but I pretty much gave up on Seachem products. I never got Flourish to work for me, apart from the fact it is difficult to measure in smaller quantities, needs to be in the fridge, and the bottle always leaked it seemed. Seachem Prime smells like no other water conditioner. Does not "repair" slime coat. Easy Green line, no probs, super easy to dose, not leaking, no fridge, etc. Every other water conditioner does the same and more than Prime.

This! I bought Flourish before I discovered Easy Green. The flourish smells, the bottle leaks and now it use it in tanks just to use it up so I don’t feel like I wasted my money… but after this bottle is gone- never again. Easy Green from this point on.