Algae in non planted tank

I am struggling with algae in my 55 gallon. It took me nearly 3 hours to clean it, including taking out all the decor and fake plants to clean, then doing a water change to get the gravel and cleaning tank walls.  It has only been one week since I did this exact thing, only I think this time was worse somehow.

I'm not sure what kind it is, should have taken pictures but forgot before I got busy cleaning it all up. It covers the gravel, in some places enough that it won't come off and I had to scoop it out. On the decorations it clings to it nice and thick - super fun to get off - and on the ship it was all stringy like hair but still thick. If I had the money and knew how I'd switch it to a planted tank, those have been significantly easier to care for which has surprised me. But anyway a couple of changes I'm already making

I am taking over feeding the fish, my dad has said that he thinks he over-feeds and also a lot goes to the bottom and isn't eaten by the corys or bn pleco. 

Looking into a better curtain because all that is on the window is a blanket so maybe that's a huge contributer? 

But any advice is welcome, I don't want to have to keep taking everything out like this every week and stressing the fish out but I don't know how else to get it clean. 

Parameters before WC/cleaning decor today

Ammonia- 0

NitrIte - 0

NitrAte - 10

Ph - 7.6

Temp 79

On 8/22/2022 at 11:25 PM, rockfisher said:

You may have to get black out curtains. Or add some real plants or moss. Moss would grow great in in a tank with real sun. If not I agree with @lefty oover-feeding and the extra sun. I can’t grow plants well but Amazon swords will also do well. 

agree, direct sunlight can be a huge algae grower.

• Like 1

Is this tank in front of the window? If so you could black out the back and sides of the tank (assuming not already done) which will reduce the amount of sunlight entering the tank.

Throw us some pictures they always help the thinking.

Algae is good for the fish just not very pretty so it's all about finding a balance. I don't think my early fish keeping would have been half as successful without the stuff