Tannins - How Much Is Too Much?

FLFishChik

I have a 5g Betta tank that I make “Tannin Tea” for and add a little at every water change. Today when I did tank maintenance, I added more than usual, making the tank appear very dark ( you can’t tell by the photo because my phone compensates for the lack of light. You’ll have to trust me here). But, it got me wondering if there’s such a thing at “too much” tannin?

29992826-8FC6-4FB6-9C08-0B4EA0190437.jpeg

3C9C36E1-AEA5-4661-9854-101EBE72EFC8.jpeg

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Love 1

I like reading the blog here whenever I fear too much tannins!

Scott Fellman spoke at our fish club several years ago. It was wonderful encouragement to allow loads of tannins 

There really is a difference between sudden onset tannins via extracts, versus botanicals that naturally release tannins over time.

There is also room for some debate over whether a species of fish like tannins in their tanks regardless of whether they’re captive bred/raised or wild-caught.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 6:58 PM, Fish Folk said:

I like reading the blog here whenever I fear too much tannins!

Scott Fellman spoke at our fish club several years ago. It was wonderful encouragement to allow loads of tannins 

There really is a difference between sudden onset tannins via extracts, versus botanicals that naturally release tannins over time.

There is also room for some debate over whether a species of fish like tannins in their tanks regardless of whether they’re captive bred/raised or wild-caught.

What is the difference? Is it a bad difference? A big one or small? Should I remove some of the tannins?

• Like 1