Rabbit Snails

Cinnebuns

On 8/12/2022 at 5:16 PM, redfish said:

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

I have a serious problem. We need to start a 12 step program. Would you believe that just 4 months ago I was against putting snails in my tanks at all?

A friend convinced me I needed rabbit snails. He's an enabler. 

• Haha 2

On 8/12/2022 at 5:37 PM, Flumpweesel said:

Personally I'm drawn to ramshorns. But so far I only have the teeny tiny ones. 

But isn't this getting you side tracked from the nerite project?

I already have ramshorns and yes it is haha. My friend convinced me that I need them to stir my substrate. But nerites burrow too. Maybe I just need more nerites!

On 8/12/2022 at 5:37 PM, Flumpweesel said:

Personally I'm drawn to ramshorns.

Here is some of my ramshorns 

Brown

20220811_222424.jpg.9da8e121994206086616fca19cfd5ec3.jpg

Red/pink

20220810_175650.jpg.0e80a62f18a4c13c0e64f93967b0ead9.jpg

Purple 

20220810_175134.jpg.bfacadc0b587b026399ffce01b4eaf3e.jpg

Blue

20220802_164843.jpg.c85022d2b44f46f0e77681795ed5735c.jpg

Ivory

20220802_164334.jpg.9599382bd82eafe067c687636f89e044.jpg

• Love 1

On 8/12/2022 at 6:28 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I have a serious problem. We need to start a 12 step program. Would you believe that just 4 months ago I was against putting snails in my tanks at all?

A friend convinced me I needed rabbit snails. He's an enabler. 

The first step is admitting you have a problem. Don't be afraid. Just get more 🐌

• Haha 2

I have tried all kinds of snails! Different species of nerites, rabbit snails, cappuccino spike snails, mystery snails, ramshorn snails, bladder snails, pond snails, malaysian trumpet snails, Columbian Giant Ramshorn Snail.... Of all of them, my favorites are Rabbit Snails and Columbian Giant Ramshorn Snails. They have lived the longest by far (other than my nerites who are good ol' reliable snails that keep on trucking, expecially the spiked ones).

I started with a group of 3 adult rabbit snails and they actually bred in my tank. I don't have the original 3 anymore, but their 3 babies have been with me for a full year and are only one inch long (!). They're active and they have adorable snoots, I definitely recommend them. As far as plant-eating goes, it's a mixed bag. If they are very hungry they will munch on more delicate fronds; the adults did, anyway. DEFINITELY do not try any banana plants. The adult rabbits ate the banana plant, bananas and all. That said, my babies haven't made a dent in my plants. IMO, the younger the snail the better luck you'll have. Keep them fed and they really shouldn't cause much damage, but be prepared in case they do eat a few plants.

Columbian Giant Ramshorns are a different story. My singular Columbian Giant Ramshorn annihilates plants. Lilies, crypts, anubias, vallisneria, nothing is safe. The only plants I can keep in her tank (I named her Paola and know she's a she because she laid eggs) are anacharis and water lettuce/duckweed. She can't eat them fast enough to eradicate them, lol!

Edited by laritheloud
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In addition to banana plants, I have heard that they will eat Java ferns. I have never seen this myself since I always kept Java ferns in a different tank. All my other plants (Val, crypts, dwarf sag, PSO, Ludwigia repens, Anubias, Buce, and Subwassertang) have all held up with 3+ adult rabbits in my 20 gallon. I do kept them well-fed though with green beans, algae tablets, and Repashy foods. I highly recommend them. I just love watching them nom and when you find little babies, your heart instantly melts. There are also quite a few color varieties so you can try to catch ‘em all 🙂 

• Like 1

Visited the new lfs.  They have a good selection of fish and invertebrates.  I asked about them having mystery snails and the response was he can't get them.  Apple  snails are invasive here.  They have rabbit snails and nerites though!  Lot's of different colors/varieties.   

On 8/12/2022 at 9:20 PM, redfish said:

Visited the new lfs.  They have a good selection of fish and invertebrates.  I asked about them having mystery snails and the response was he can't get them.  Apple  snails are invasive here.  They have rabbit snails and nerites though!  Lot's of different colors/varieties.   

Is that Maine by chance?  Ik most states list them as invasive but not illegal but Maine tends to be more strict. 

On 8/13/2022 at 3:20 AM, redfish said:

Apple  snails are invasive here

They are banned in the EU as well. Although they have now made a return to the British market.

The EU ban was due to them causing havoc in the Spanish sewer system. I think we get cold enough to prevent them naturalising here. Or it's just a post Brexit window in legislation.

• Like 1