Gazoo is SICK! Pea Puffer help PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandra the fish rookie

Hi All~

Okay, suddenly Gazoo ( my pea puffer) is sick again. I treated him twice with precleanse back a few WEEKS ago. He had 2 full rounds (10 gallon dose) for his 5 gallon tank. He is getting skinny again, and is not doing well. I need help from you guys as to what else he can get.

Water Parameters: PH = 7.3, Nitrates = 15 (planted tank), Nitrite = 0, Water harness = 250, Kh = 4 and Chlorine =0. Temp 80 and NO ammonia.  (lights just turned on) but is usually 79 when lights are out. 

He looks quiet skinni, and now is NOT eating. He usually eats live brine shrimp ( I get from a LFS and keep in a mini tank alive with an air stone) and baby snails. 

I have a lot of meds, and he is alone in the tank .. what can I give him? 

This is best I can get.. He is hiding in his little tunnel. But he looks like he is struggling 

Gazoon 1.jpg

I have tried frozen blood worms before, and he won't eat them. I have family visiting from Canada, and went to the beach. I left some live snails for him to eat, and when I got home ( about 5 hours later) they were all still in the tank alive, so he didn't even eat them.

Could he have gotten something from the live brine shrimp from the LFS? they are in salt water, and I rinse them with water before feeding. I put them in a bit of water, and add some declinator before feeding them to him to be on the safe side

• Administrators

How skinny was he when you got him and how long have you had him? When they get this skinny, usually you can't turn it around. Need to get em eating regularly before they hit this stage 😞

@Cory He was eating daily without any issues up till today. Even when he was a little skinny he was still eating. He ate a bunch yesterday. This tank has a sump drawer that actually smells like stagnant, or not as good as the water he is actually in. I did a water change 2 weeks ago of the drawer and the tank. I HATE this tank it is VERY hard to maintain, but get it done. I have a 10G QT tank. should I move him?

I have had him almost 2 years. and he was a fat little nugget. I feel that ever since I started feeding him live brine shrimp he started to get sick.  He was swimming around yesterday, but I did notice that even when I treated him the first 2 times, he still was not as fat as he was.. but he has had 2 FULL rounds of paracleanse. 

• Administrators

I worry that the brine shrimp, may have been nutrient deficient. Lots of times they aren't fed at stores and might be food but low in quality at that point. For now, I think all you can do is keep lots of baby snails available and look at water parameters, temps etc, to see if there is something that is off.

@Cory There are 5 baby snails in there since this morning that are still alive. I just did a water change, and will hope for the best I suppose. I was having an issue with keeping a lot of pest snails in my tanks because I don't feed everyday. So I supplemented with the live brine shrimp and added vita chem to the water as well. Guess it wasn't enough 😞