Looking for RR threads

Nanci B

Thank you for posting the link. I feel rather dorky, because I don’t see a journals section. 

On 8/8/2022 at 11:31 PM, Anjum said:

The Reverse Respiration thread? It's pinned at the top of the Journals section now. 

Now found the journals section. Thanks 🙏🏻 

• Like 1

The journals are the photo section. Yes you can put a filter through RR. However it kills all living thing including beneficial bacteria. It will kill the algae but unless there are critters to eat it or it’s in a cycled tank to be eaten by bacteria and microfauna  it may take a long time to disolve the algae and it may provide enough nutrients to grow new algae. Some hot water will remove it. 
I absolutely love RR but in this instance where it ruins the cycle and you are not worried about plant damage I would actually suggest hydrogen peroxide from the grocery just pour and soak. It will kill everything as well but help loosen and break up algae. 
edit to add:  if I want to retrain the cycle in the sponge I take it apart and hard scrub the hard surfaces and pick/ pluck the sponge using only tank water. Not great and some remains but I don’t lose the bb on the actual sponge just hard surfaces. I feed light for a day or so after. 

Thank you for thinking of RR 🤗27487C95-BFBF-4190-80E9-1A91506903DF.jpeg.c48632fb1dadfe4e87127ee4ad53370a.jpegA5F734CE-D0E6-4E74-B817-2A82D6BD6872.jpeg.b996ce1f675b1680ae799e1985b5fd07.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 3

@Guppysnail Thank you!

I had a feeling that putting the sponge filter through RR would kill the bb. I did do a light cleaning of the filter when I removed the  bba as much as possible, but I will be more thorough in a few weeks. I couldn’t believe how weird that algae is. 

I do need to put my plants through RR, I have 27 crypts that are covered with staghorn. I also have other plants that need help. 
I appreciate the graphics to accompany your post.  It can really make a difference. I haven’t used that area before, but am going to do a reboot of my 75 post RR. I didn’t get any pictures before I took out the bba, so no alien pictures, but the starting ones will have to do

On 8/9/2022 at 10:20 AM, Nanci B said:

@Guppysnail Thank you!

I had a feeling that putting the sponge filter through RR would kill the bb. I did do a light cleaning of the filter when I removed the  bba as much as possible, but I will be more thorough in a few weeks. I couldn’t believe how weird that algae is. 

I do need to put my plants through RR, I have 27 crypts that are covered with staghorn. I also have other plants that need help. 
I appreciate the graphics to accompany your post.  It can really make a difference. I haven’t used that area before, but am going to do a reboot of my 75 post RR. I didn’t get any pictures before I took out the bba, so no alien pictures, but the starting ones will have to do

Your welcome. I only know how to use the forum because tons of kind folks here did pictures like that for me. I’m lousy at computers 🤣

please post any pics on the RR thread. We very much appreciate it. 🤗

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 8:23 AM, Guppysnail said:

please post any pics on the RR thread. We very much appreciate it. 🤗

I am planning to take before after plant pictures on a white towel.  

speaking of plants, I am concerned about damaging my plants roots. I thought maybe if I use a kitchen ladle to scoop up the plant with substrate and plant with hopefully roots also.  I have 27 crypts to remove in addition to some others. 

Thoughts? 

You can disassemble the sponge filter and lay it in a shallow dish of peroxide so only the outer layer gets treatment.  About 10 minutes per section, roll it a little and treat the next section, stand it on end to treat the top, etc.  This will certainly kill all the BB’s in the outer layer, but should preserve at least some of the inner layers of BB’s as long as you keep the filter from drying out completely and keep the peroxide from soaking the whole filter.

• Like 2