Creating a regimen

wes.crockett

Hey all,

I'm working on creating a general regimen for tank maintenance. I have a task for weekly water changes and I created one for performing tests.

My question is, simply, when should I do the tests? I assume a few days after a water change so the added water has a chance to cycle... Doing it right before a change seems pointless, but maybe not.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks!

On 8/5/2022 at 10:27 AM, wes.crockett said:

I'm working on creating a general regimen for tank maintenance. I have a task for weekly water changes and I created one for performing tests.

My question is, simply, when should I do the tests? I assume a few days after a water change so the added water has a chance to cycle... Doing it right before a change seems pointless, but maybe not.

Thoughts on this?

For me, I run a few methods and they all work.  My current regime is:

Every Day: Check the fish, feed the fish, check the plants, and make sure equipment is working
Every Week:  Siphon the gravel, Check HoB isn't bypassing (because of the specific one I have).  Test the water for everything, make sure stuff is ok.
Every other week: 30-50% WC based on test results. (Sometimes this is weekly)
Every month: Completely clean out all pumps and airstones and lids on the tank (Deep clean)

• Like 3

My current regimen:

Daily: check fish, feed fish, talk to fish so they feel loved and important. Touch up glass and lid as needed (when visibly dirty)

once weekly (usually on Saturday):test water and do water changes accordingly. Dose liquid fertilizers. Have weekly talk with betta to remind him that he’s not actually a Panda Cory so he can’t join their gang.

once monthly (usually on tank maintenance day) clean filters and rinse sponges, add root tabs to plants that are heavy feeders. Have a “tank meeting” with fish to discuss my expectations for the month and any changes that might take place in the tank ( food, plants, hardscape) so they can prepare and adjust. Give shout outs to individual fish for being team players. Give fish a chance to air their grievances of the past month so we can start the new month with fresh enthusiasm 

• Haha 3
  • Love 1