Opinions on Single Bolivian Ram with Single Angelfish

NanotankBank

I’ve kept Bolivians multiple times and I actually prefer them over their German ram cousins. Much hardier and can handle a wider range of parameters and after they settle they can become really pretty. I’ve found however that they do enjoy being in groups or at least a bonded pair. You could have a single one but chances are at least from my experience with them is that they will be bolder and hide a lot less with multiples. A male female pair would be great. Bolivians and angels get along fine usually but I will say this, Angels long term get pretty big for a 29. It would be fine for quite a bit but eventually as the angel reaches full size it could potentially be a bit cramped. Every now and then someone brings in fully mature angels to my local fish store and then I’m reminded just how large these fish get. Let’s see what some others think. 

On 8/5/2022 at 11:35 AM, Christhefishman said:

I’ve kept Bolivians multiple times and I actually prefer them over their German ram cousins. Much hardier and can handle a wider range of parameters and after they settle they can become really pretty. I’ve found however that they do enjoy being in groups or at least a bonded pair. You could have a single one but chances are at least from my experience with them is that they will be bolder and hide a lot less with multiples. A male female pair would be great. Bolivians and angels get along fine usually but I will say this, Angels long term get pretty big for a 29. It would be fine for quite a bit but eventually as the angel reaches full size it could potentially be a bit cramped. Every now and then someone brings in fully mature angels to my local fish store and then I’m reminded just how large these fish get. Let’s see what some others think. 

That’s what I hear, but then I constantly hear people say a single Angel can live in a 29gal so I wasn’t positive. I might stick with a Pearl gourami just to be safe 

On 8/5/2022 at 12:54 PM, pjust9 said:

That’s what I hear, but then I constantly hear people say a single Angel can live in a 29gal so I wasn’t positive. I might stick with a Pearl gourami just to be safe 

This is totally one of those situations where half the people you talk to about it are going to say no, and the other half are going to say yes. If someone says “hey can I put an Oscar in a 20 gallon” everyone would agree that’s an easy no. 1 angel in a 29 however is walking the line between the tank being fine and the tank being too small so you’ll hear differing opinions on that. I like when people learn for themselves by trying something out (obviously so long as it isn’t something ludacris like keeping an Oscar in a 20 😂) so you’d be fine for a while if you were set on Bolivians and one angel in that tank. Once the angel got large enough you can always upgrade to give it some more space! If space for a larger tank is a problem for you (I run into that in my apartment) you could upgrade to a standard 37 gallon down the line, as a 37 has the same exact footprint as the 29 except your getting added height. Usually you want longer length over taller height but with angels they appreciate taller tanks because of their tall body shape. Anyway I think your stocking idea could work just as long as you’re willing to potentially upgrade the tank down the line but if you purchased them all fairly young you’d be quite alright for a while

• Like 2

On 8/5/2022 at 8:13 PM, Christhefishman said:

This is totally one of those situations where half the people you talk to about it are going to say no, and the other half are going to say yes. 

I have the same feeling with the rainbowshark. Cory said in his species guide that you can put one in a 29g and there where a lot of good experiences in the comments. Every other person on the internet seems to disagree however.

I guess it's difficult to give advice when there is a fine line between succes and failure. Especially if it depands on a lot of different factors.

@pjust9steenfott aquatics did a tour of dan's fish a few days ago. He mentions an angelfish which stays a bit smaller apperantly. I don't know the species but maybe you could look into that?

On 8/5/2022 at 3:59 PM, Simon Buys said:

I have the same feeling with the rainbowshark. Cory said in his species guide that you can put one in a 29g and there where a lot of good experiences in the comments. Every other person on the internet seems to disagree however.

I guess it's difficult to give advice when there is a fine line between succes and failure. Especially if it depands on a lot of different factors.

@pjust9steenfott aquatics did a tour of dan's fish a few days ago. He mentions an angelfish which stays a bit smaller apperantly. I don't know the species but maybe you could look into that?

@Simon BuysAh yes! I remember seeing that video on the rainbow shark. Perfect example. There will always be conflicting info from one source to another, and in these “right on the fence” situations, sometimes you just have to give it a shot and see if it works for you. I’m glad you brought up Dans fish as well, I just discovered him literally 3 weeks ago and  I already want to place an order. @pjust9If someone had a species of angels that stays a bit smaller, it would be him. He has lots of super cool harder to find/rare fish all super healthy. Deff worth checking out the Dansfish website and YouTube channel. 

• Like 1