Breeding combination in a single tank

Nik_n

I'm planning to buy a new tank 50-100l (about 10-20 gallons) and breed as many species which are compatible with each other. I know, since it a small volume of water my options are limited. I have complied a list of possible fish combination I would keep and breed in that tank and would appreciate any feedback on compatibility, expected yield of fry from those combination and any general advice on how to succeed in this project as well as on other possible fish combination. 

Just to be clear I'm doing this as an experiment to see if I would invest more money and time in fish breeding in the future or if I would keep fish for the sake of staying in this hobby, which I grew to enjoy over the past few years. I have bred fish in the past, mostly livebearers, guoramis and plecos. 

So here are some of my combinations 

Combination 1 

• Shrimp (probably neocaradina blue or yellow) 
  • Endler's live bearers 
  • Mystery snails 
  • Bristlenose pleco/ corydora catfish 

Combination 2 

• Shrimp
  • CPD or clown killifish 
  •  Bristlenose pleco/ corydora catfish
  • Mystery snail 

Combination 3

• Guppy/platy/molly or swordtail 
  • Mystery snails 
  • Bristelnose pleco 

I think these fish are compatible and could breed successfully in the same tank, which would be heavily planted. 

I'm worried about Mystery snails eating eggs of other fish are they known to do that? I know for best shrimp results I would have to keep a shrimp tank only but I don't want this one to be a shrimp only tank. I would like to keep as many species together as possible whilst still producing enough fry, which I would sell and use the money for the hobby or as a little extra pocket cash. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 2:01 PM, Nik_n said:

I'm planning to buy a new tank 50-100l (about 10-20 gallons) and breed as many species which are compatible with each other. I know, since it a small volume of water my options are limited. I have complied a list of possible fish combination I would keep and breed in that tank and would appreciate any feedback on compatibility, expected yield of fry from those combination and any general advice on how to succeed in this project as well as on other possible fish combination. 

Just to be clear I'm doing this as an experiment to see if I would invest more money and time in fish breeding in the future or if I would keep fish for the sake of staying in this hobby, which I grew to enjoy over the past few years. I have bred fish in the past, mostly livebearers, guoramis and plecos. 

Combination 1 

• Endler's live bearers 
  • Mystery snails 

Combination 2 

• Shrimp
  • CPD or clown killifish 
  • Mystery snail 

Combination 3

• Mystery snails 
  • Bristelnose pleco 

I think these fish are compatible and could breed successfully in the same tank, which would be heavily planted. 

I'm worried about Mystery snails eating eggs of other fish are they known to do that? I know for best shrimp results I would have to keep a shrimp tank only but I don't want this one to be a shrimp only tank. I would like to keep as many species together as possible whilst still producing enough fry, which I would sell and use the money for the hobby or as a little extra pocket cash. 

I personally would go with option one with corydoras instead of the plecos. However, keep in mind that endler's and possibly the snails will also go after the corydoras eggs, so you might want to remove the eggs and hatch them in a breeding box or a separate tank.

I hope this helps!

On 8/2/2022 at 3:07 PM, JettsPapa said:

I like option one, and I'd probably go with one of the smaller corys and not plecos.

You could substitute guppies for the Endler's if you want.  There may be a better market for them, but you'd need to do research to determine that.

I agree. Plecos would not be good for that tank size unless they are bristlenose, and even then I wouldn't advise it. Since Corydoras need schools to thrive, I would suggest getting Pygmy Corys since it's not a species-only tank.

On 8/2/2022 at 3:01 PM, Nik_n said:

Combination 1 

• Endler's live bearers 
  • Mystery snails 

Combination 2 

• Shrimp
  • CPD or clown killifish 
  • Mystery snail 

Combination 3

• Mystery snails 
  • Bristelnose pleco 

He's right, endlers are rarer than guppies and might sell better.

On 8/2/2022 at 9:05 PM, AquaHobbyist123 said:

Idk about the mystery Snails, but otherwise the combinations sound nice. There is a video I watched a while ago about breeding combos in 20-gallon aquariums. I think Keeping Fish Simple made it. I'm also planning to start a breeding project here soon with Purple Moscows.

Yep I watched the video recently, that's where I got some of the ideas. 

On 8/2/2022 at 9:07 PM, JettsPapa said:

I like option one, and I'd probably go with one of the smaller corys and not plecos.

You could substitute guppies for the Endler's if you want.  There may be a better market for them, but you'd need to do research to determine that.

I'm currently reaching out to fishstores/pet stores and garden center (in Europe sell have aquarium and pond fish) in and around the town I'm moving to, in order to see if they take home bred fish and if I'm able to get payed in cash. 

• Like 2

On 8/2/2022 at 3:27 PM, Nik_n said:

Yep I watched the video recently, that's where I got some of the ideas. 

I'm currently reaching out to fishstores/pet stores and garden center (in Europe sell have aquarium and pond fish) in and around the town I'm moving to, in order to see if they take home bred fish and if I'm able to get payed in cash. 

Some Local Fish Stores prefer to give store credit instead of cash, though if you had fish they have a lot of demand for, they might pay cash. It really depends on the individual store.

I know they do, that was the case with my previous LFS. However I would prefer cash payment, because I'm only planning on having one tank and would not use store credit much if at all. If the stores won't pay in cash I will not set up a breeding tank but rather an aquascape with a couple of fish 

• Like 1