Stocking

NanotankBank

Quick question, when stocking a tank, I’ve learned you aren’t supposed to add them all at once to reduce the ammonia spike. I plan on stocking 6-7 Cory’s, a school of 10-12 rasboras, and 1 Apisto gramma into a 29gal. What order should I stock them, and how many days in between?

It’s a tricky subject, but I would start with 3 or 4 rasboras for a couple weeks so beneficial bacteria gets established. 
After that slowly add more fish in groups of 3’s or  4’s until you fully stocked your aquarium. I always wait a week or 2 just in case of disease or infection. Fritz Zyme 7 & Fritz Turbo Start are great products for starting up aquariums. 

@nabokovfan87has a great question about quarantine.

On 7/30/2022 at 2:56 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I would start with the apisto, then corys, then rasboras.

Do you have a method to QT them seperately?

So the tank I saw them at the fish shop the Apisto and Cory’s were together 🤷🏼‍♂️, so I plan on just adding them right in. But my schooling fish I have a 10gal QT tank waiting 

On 7/30/2022 at 2:12 PM, pjust9 said:

So the tank I saw them at the fish shop the Apisto and Cory’s were together 🤷🏼‍♂️, so I plan on just adding them right in. But my schooling fish I have a 10gal QT tank waiting 

Ok. so then you need to add those fish to the tank and QT them in that situation.  A better way to handle it is to move your currently QT'd fish to the display tank, clean or prepare your QT tank for the new fish, QT them for as long as possible.

If the tank is cycled, planted, etc., that is how I would handle the situation.

On 7/30/2022 at 5:33 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Ok. so then you need to add those fish to the tank and QT them in that situation.  A better way to handle it is to move your currently QT'd fish to the display tank, clean or prepare your QT tank for the new fish, QT them for as long as possible.

If the tank is cycled, planted, etc., that is how I would handle the situation.

👍🏻👍🏻 I’ve always bought my fish from this local seller who breeds majority of his fish as well, so I trust him highly, but there always weird cases that you don’t prepare for and that’s why I’ve got that 10gal with a HOB and sponge filter setup, fully planted

• Like 1