Planning to add cherry shrimp to my tank

smm333

I am going to get some cherry shrimp this weekend to add to my 20 gallon tank. The tank has 3 amano shrimp, 2 mystery snails, and 5 pygmy corydoras. It has a sand substrate and has lots of plants and some shrimp caves. Everyone loves the repashy community food and I also occasionally add some hikari crab cuisine or zoo med aquatic shrimp crab & lobster food. The tank is about 78-80°. 

Does anyone with cherry shrimp experience have any advice that you think is important for me to know? I really want them to make it and to breed! Everyone in the tank so far are super active and healthy. I don't think any of the creatures in there would eat shrimplets....

16591480595008207228774821107424.jpg

• Love 2

Do you think having a larger group of cherries would keep them safer? Or maybe just more hiding places? The amano seem to mind their own business now, even when the pygmy Cory's sit by them. Hopefully I got nice ones!

I think they will do fine in that set up.  That is on the warm end for them but that will make them more likely to breed.  Could shorten life but the do not live that long anyway.  Give them a couple of months and you will start seeing some eggs.   

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2022 at 9:03 PM, smm333 said:

Do you think having a larger group of cherries would keep them safer? Or maybe just more hiding places? The amano seem to mind their own business now, even when the pygmy Cory's sit by them. Hopefully I got nice ones!

More hides and starting pop the better, but as long as the amanos are well fed they probably wont bother.

• Thanks 1

Just make sure there is good flow from the bottom to the surface(no dead zones). The surface should have good agitation as well. When I had a betta in my shrimp tank, my cherries did ok, but were not happy with the high Temps. I had a fairly high occurrence of escapees that didn't appreciate the high temperature(they still bred fine). Now the tank is low 70s, and the shrimp are very active, and no more escape attempts.

• Thanks 1

Thank you everyone who shared advice! I lowered the temp a bit- the heater has settings for 72, 75, and 79 so I sat it halfway in the 79. Hoping that will keep it less than 79 but a bit over 75. It's the first time I've adjusted this particular heater, so I'm just watching the thermometer to see where it lands at. 

If you're not already, sometimes sprinkle a small pinch of Repashy into the tank dry. It'll look a little messy for a few minutes, but the Repashy will get into nooks and crannies where only the Cherry Shrimp can get. That's helped mine compete with other bottom-dwellers for food.

PXL_20220101_183457274.jpg

• Thanks 2