Artificial Turf

Jimfish98

Be careful of what its made of some can be very rough. And others might be really hard to clean. Algae will grow on it but it will be a great surface for bacteria. Snag there being if you take it out to clean off the algae you might hit your cycle hard.

Some people use stone tile to keep the ease of a bare bottom but want a look that's a bit more natural.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 4:07 PM, Jimfish98 said:

Been thinking of taking a bare bottom and doing artificial turf on the bottom before adding some stone and wood decorations to the top and to help keep it down. Has anyone tried this? If so, results? Pics?

I have not, but I do have a tank with real moss one the bottom. I don’t think it’s a problem if you can find some that is fish safe. If you can find some with a thicker pad you can probably cut it just a little bigger and habit fit tight ing the tank. I would worried that pieces of the green grass pieces would become loss and the fish eat it and just stick in the gut. I think it would depend on the fish you wish to keep. The worst thing that can happen is it doesn’t work and you have to change things around. I’m sure lots of people will disagree but if it’s what you want to try go for it. There are things to think about

1. fish safe

2. Maintenance how to clean and vacuum 

3 is the look something you think you would like. You can probably get scrapes to test it at the box stores. You didn’t say how big the tank is

4. positive bacterial: will there be enough to keep a health tank.

On 7/27/2022 at 7:19 PM, Flumpweesel said:

Be careful of what its made of some can be very rough. And others might be really hard to clean. Algae will grow on it but it will be a great surface for bacteria. Snag there being if you take it out to clean off the algae you might hit your cycle hard.

Some people use stone tile to keep the ease of a bare bottom but want a look that's a bit more natural.

I have a stone bottom tank. 0E5B5406-31A7-4CD3-91FE-7C2BE29654E6.jpeg.e94fec38c52e017d6c696b185b043d94.jpegI use this stone image.jpg.669d96d9808c9cf95ea6c8c5469c9b0b.jpgthe gaps are filled with crushed stone of the same type.