Fish that may be out concurred when feeding

Vanessa K

First I wanna apologize to the people that answered me a long time ago and I didn't reply. Life happened. 

Well, what do I do when I have very fast and eager fish when it's feeding time - and fish that are not so fast. I get that I could feed on each side of the tank, but what else? 

Depending on the fish, some of the fast fish won't eat food off the bottom, but the slower ones might. In that case some fast-sinking food might do the job. Also you may find that some fish prefer some kinds of food, and be less eager to go for others, so feeding a mix can give the slower fish time to take the less preferred food. Other than that, the usual recommendation of feeding opposite sides, feeding in stages, etc.

• Like 1

I feed out my active/eager fish as far to one side as I can. I put a ring feeding ring over there and I put all there favorites over there (about half of what they will be getting). On the other side I prep the slower fish food. Once I’ve got the pleco’s nori in a clip and ready to go, I drop the other half of the eager/fast fish food in the far side, clip in the pleco’s dinner and put in the distraction nori half way up the side. They eventually come around to the pleco’s food, but not before he’s been the first one to get a chance to eat it. 

• Like 1

The solution is likely to stagger feeding, but I think something like a feeder cone would help, some sort of feeding device to allow the certain fish to feed in a specific way that makes them more comfortable with the chaos around them.  I had a tiger barb tank and there was the very active fish compared to others.  I fed the tigers on one side a very small amount at a time. Some of the tigers would lag and others were feisty. I tried to give the fish time to realize what was going on and over time they learned what was up.

Once I fed the tigers, then I would feed other foods that were for the bottom feeders. 

• 1 month later...

I've bought both a feeder cone, a pipette and a feeder ring. I'll just have to watch them when I feed them and also if some of them become skinny. This forum is fantastic. People are really trying to help rather than feeding their ego. 

If I have any luck, once I get the new fish, I'll try to record what works best.