New Endlers with clamped fins. Quarantine trio meds or full course of med right away?

Karen B.

Greetings 

I bought 15 males endler guppy but had to source them from 4 different places (rare fish around here).
I bought the first one on thursday night, last one on sunday night.
They are in a 5 gallons (for quarantine, will transfer in a 10 gallons afterwards).
I started the quarantine trio med on monday night.
However, I noticed most of them have clamped fins (tails and dorsal) even after being in the aquarium for less then 24 hours (they were fine when I bought them).
I also noticed some flashing. I don’t see any obvious sign of ich (one tiny white dot on 1 fish, but could be something else as no other seem to have any)
1 fish is staying near the surface.
PH is about 6.6 - 6.8.
Temp is 74.5
0/0/0 (but there is cycled media and lots of plants)
Kh 40
Gh about 120
No chlorine.
There is a sponge filter, fake and real plants, no substrate, couple of pest snails.
Water treated with prime and stability.

Seeing as there seem to be actual symptoms, should I go full course of treatment right away instead of the quarantine trio route?
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 11:22 PM, Karen B. said:
However, I noticed most of them have clamped fins (tails and dorsal) even after being in the aquarium for less then 24 hours (they were fine when I bought them).
I also noticed some flashing. I don’t see any obvious sign of ich (one tiny white dot on 1 fish, but could be something else as no other seem to have any)

Could be a sign of something like ammonia burn as well.  Fish flash for a few reasons, but it's a good catch!

I would proceed with treatment.  Follow the directions on the Maracyn and every time you do a WC per those directions go ahead and dose/re-dose ich-X.  The directions on Ich-X say to change a certain volume of water before adding more meds, that's all you have to keep in mind.  I would add aeration and salt as well.

Cory's video on dosing the 800G with ich-X is a great guide to follow as well.

Once you're through the treatment of Maracyn, give the fish a week or two as a break and then treat with the Paracleanse / Expel-P.