Hmm... Worms?

Martin

Hi all!

My shrimp tank recently picked up a new lifeform somehow and I don't know what they are and if I should be concerned.

There aren't a huge number, but their population is increasing.  I only see them on the glass, but they are small (roughly 0.5 to 1mm) and semi-transparent, so they could be elsewhere too. Anyone able to ID my new "friend"?

(This is where you guys tell me those are benign and everything is fine.) 

Thank you!

20220721_154231.jpg

On 7/21/2022 at 1:49 PM, Martin said:

Anyone able to ID my new "friend"?

(This is where you guys tell me those are benign and everything is fine.) 

nope... won't do it!  LOL

I would look into planaria and try to see if you can tell if this is planaria or not. 

What was introduced to the plants, how is your tank setup?  Filtration? Aeration? Flow?

What is your cleaning regime and when was the last time you gravel vac'd?

You might see more at night, so at night try to grap a few more photos and check the water itself if you see any free floating.

These don't look like the worms I got in my tank.

• Thanks 1

I don't THNK I'm dealing with planaria (thank God, just read about them).  Their heads don't appear to have that characteristic arrowhead nor do I see any eyespots.  I first noticed one maybe 2 weeks ago, so I figure, even if it was young, it has had time to develop those giveaway characteristics by now?  I suspect they are rhabdocoela worms (head and tail both rounded in shape) based on some online sleuthing but I just wanted to solicit the opinions of your smart people.

As for your questions:

1. The tank is a 20G long with an Aquaclear HOB appropriate for tank size on one end with flow assisted by a pump on the opposite end of the tank.  In terms of plants, it only has marimo moss balls and self-made susswassertang vines.  Some of the moss balls I have had for several years now, but I had purchased additional moss balls about a month ago not knowing about the whole Zebra mussel situation (no wonder they were so hard to find).  Fortunately, I haven't had any issues on that end, though it is the possible vector for my new tenants.

2.  I do PWCs each week with the last vacuuming last week.  I don't vacuum that tank too often due to all the shrimp babies in there that inevitably get sucked up.

The worms do not appear to free float, which I'm guessing are more likely to be a characteristic of detrius worms?

On 7/21/2022 at 2:23 PM, Martin said:

In terms of plants, it only has marimo moss balls and self-made susswassertang vines.

Any chance this is that weird zebra thing from the moss ball?  (doesn't look like it at all)

Such a bummer too because I love having moss balls in my tanks.  I think the worm mentioned above is correct. As for treatment, I don't know what would be best.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1