Fishless cycling my tank

Latishcia

Just tested my tank these are the readings..

Should I siphon my tank or leave it and let it continue doing what it's doing.. No clue what to do next. I have a 5 gallon planted tank.. 

Ammonia 1.0 PPM

Nitrites 2.0 PPM

Nitrates 5.0 PPM

IMG_20220715_204358.jpg

I am not sure with plants being in there. I have not had experience with that. But With no fish being in there, yes just leave it as the cycle moves on it will switch to nitrate.  You want to have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and everything else in nitrate. 

• Like 1

If you're reading ammonia and nitrite there is no need to do anything. Just wait for your tank to process it. if there are no fish or shrimp in there that ammonia and nitrite are just great fertilizer which will help the plants recover from the initial melt phase. I find with a planted cycle you don't need to add ammonia or food, the plants melting back and snail waste will provide enough waste to establish nitrifying bacteria. Once you start seeing algae grow in you're probably pretty close if not ready to add fish.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/15/2022 at 10:08 PM, Kiefer said:

If you're reading ammonia and nitrite there is no need to do anything. Just wait for your tank to process it. if there are no fish or shrimp in there that ammonia and nitrite are just great fertilizer which will help the plants recover from the initial melt phase. I find with a planted cycle you don't need to add ammonia or food, the plants melting back and snail waste will provide enough waste to establish nitrifying bacteria. Once you start seeing algae grow in you're probably pretty close if not ready to add fish.

thank you. No fish. Doing a Fishless cycle.