Betta with dropsy

snazzy

I got this betta recently and noticed she started bloating within a few days of taking her home. I’ve now had her about a week and she has pinecone scales, which makes me fairly certain she has dropsy. 

I’ve been seeing a lot of mixed info about dropsy so I’m not sure how I should start treating her/if I can because of how severe she has it.

Im at a bit of a dilemma because I’ve heard from a few sources that it isn’t totally curable, but she is also fairly lively and responsive which makes me believe I can help her. Thank you for any help

(The tank parameters/temperature are both at safe levels. She’s in a 5.5 gallon with a couple live plants such as java fern and anubias nana)

4BEB42EC-DD1A-4564-9B21-5059B491FFFE.jpeg

On 7/9/2022 at 6:42 PM, snazzy said:

I got this betta recently and noticed she started bloating within a few days of taking her home. I’ve now had her about a week and she has pinecone scales, which makes me fairly certain she has dropsy. 

I’ve been seeing a lot of mixed info about dropsy so I’m not sure how I should start treating her/if I can because of how severe she has it.

Im at a bit of a dilemma because I’ve heard from a few sources that it isn’t totally curable, but she is also fairly lively and responsive which makes me believe I can help her. Thank you for any help

(The tank parameters/temperature are both at safe levels. She’s in a 5.5 gallon with a couple live plants such as java fern and anubias nana)

4BEB42EC-DD1A-4564-9B21-5059B491FFFE.jpeg

At that severe stage the chances are survival is low. You can treat the tank with meds or put her down. I had a cichlid with dropsy. I tried to treat him and eventually he couldn’t even swim correctly. It basically looked like he was standing on his tail in the tank. It’s a tough decision to make. Wish you the best of luck

• Like 1

The most effective treatment for Dropsy I have found is combination of kanaplex in food to treat any possible internal bacterial infection metroplex to treat the water column as it treats aeromonas a common cause of Dropsy and aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons the salt will help to reduce the fluid buildup 

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

• Like 1