Snail ID help possible pagoda??

Guppysnail

On 7/10/2022 at 8:01 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Whoa!  The mottling on the body!  That doesn't look like Asolene spixii to me.  It looks more like the body type and coloration from Viviparus viviparus to me now.  Here is a photo from a population that reminds me of your snails.  If they lay eggs for you that look like Marisa cornuarietis eggs (or any for that matter) then they are likely to be A. spixii, but live birth suggests V. viviparus.  The other thin is that A. spixii will supposedly eat some soft-leaved plants, but V. viviparus is a filter feeder, and feeds on algae.  I'll be curious about your continued observations with them.  I'm quite curious now!

Sorry if it turns out some idiot on the internet [me] caused you to go out an buy snails you don't want by misidentifying them. 

That is them!  Thank you.  You did not cause anything I was teasing. I fell in love with these weeks ago and have not stopped thinking of them. I must have looked at 100s of pics of spixies today even searched hybrids of AS and Columbia’s rams horns and they just did not look right. 
I know me. I have not stopped thinking of them and intended to purchase them Wednesday when I got crickets for my frog. The potential of them being AS sent me today vs waiting and chancing them being gone. I just think they are so lovely. 
I had not heard of V. Viviparus. I’m grateful to you for giving me an ID and getting me off my butt early. I would not have forgiven myself if I missed these beautiful snails. 🤗

here are better photos

70B0F65B-4DDF-4180-A6A1-2FDCBE2A0792.jpeg

A56A3A72-49C2-48B7-84DA-8AFD7D399021.jpeg

337F83B3-C1E7-4BED-AF96-2666B57D18FF.jpeg

4FC48FA7-7CB9-4EA3-9460-E072F891F4D7.jpeg

71EE7065-578B-4BEE-B5A2-38349C976973.jpeg

BECD35F5-A742-498F-BD67-EB9F158492AD.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
Add photos
  • Love 2

Finally the mystery solved!  Just got back here after my long Sunday shift (only 2.75 hrs late getting off, that’s almost unheard early for a Sunday - I had a really good baby doc helping as a swing shift doc!).

I knew it wasn’t a pagoda, their shell is significantly lumpy looking and slightly more elongated.  Didn’t look right for JTDS either.  The only ones I’ve had or seen are a smooth brown, no significant stripes although the babies can have a hint of striping), and as adults they will wear often away to turquoise, cream, or white.

Now I need to dive down the rabbit hole of this new species.  😆 😂 🤣 

• Love 1

On 7/11/2022 at 8:41 AM, Odd Duck said:

Finally the mystery solved!  Just got back here after my long Sunday shift (only 2.75 hrs late getting off, that’s almost unheard early for a Sunday - I had a really good baby doc helping as a swing shift doc!).

I knew it wasn’t a pagoda, their shell is significantly lumpy looking and slightly more elongated.  Didn’t look right for JTDS either.  The only ones I’ve had or seen are a smooth brown, no significant stripes although the babies can have a hint of striping), and as adults they will wear often away to turquoise, cream, or white.

Now I need to dive down the rabbit hole of this new species.  😆 😂 🤣 

Please let me know what you find. I have not found much. Probably my ineptness at the internet 🤣. I just called the lfs I got them at and asked if they would order more of the “pagoda” snails from the same supplier. How quickly these cuties caught my heart. They act like bladder snails. They rear up on the back of their foot as well as twist and shake their shell to dislodge tiny terrorist shrimp. Very active all over the glass once they chowed in the food bowl. They were uninterested in the green bean I sat them on but beelined to the Cory wafers I tossed in. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 7:46 AM, Guppysnail said:

Please let me know what you find. I have not found much. Probably my ineptness at the internet 🤣. I just called the lfs I got them at and asked if they would order more of the “pagoda” snails from the same supplier. How quickly these cuties caught my heart. They act like bladder snails. They rear up on the back of their foot as well as twist and shake their shell to dislodge tiny terrorist shrimp. Very active all over the glass once they chowed in the food bowl. They were uninterested in the green bean I sat them on but beelined to the Cory wafers I tossed in. 

Wikipedia seems to have a pretty decent write up.  Matches well with the other info I’ve found so far.

• Thanks 2