Aerial Roots

Hey all,

my scarlet temple and red ludwigia have been sprouting aerial roots and I’m not sure why. The ludwigia is quite tall so possibly for support? It’s been roughly 2 months since I’ve added seachem root tabs so maybe I should add more? I noticed the underground roots have started to stick up as well. Nitrates are about 30-40ppm so I’d find it hard to believe that they’re struggling for resources. Especially because they’re right next to the sponge filters 

5C59571C-3EBB-4E21-8EEF-A846229D05AF.jpeg

4ED8D1E6-B3B2-4258-82EB-A8C51F7BAC12.jpeg

These have aerial roots because they are trying to absorb even more nutrients! They are not deficient they are just trying to out compete other plants. 

Edit* picture added, this was during a trim in January 

20220118_112005.jpg

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 3:38 PM, FLFishChik said:

I wonder if you bend the stem over so that the roots can be in the soil , will the main plant then make new shoots along the main stem?

Probably, it's actually pretty remarkable how much you can abuse a well growing stem and most of the time it will regenerate! 

On 7/12/2022 at 12:38 PM, FLFishChik said:

I wonder if you bend the stem over so that the roots can be in the soil , will the main plant then make new shoots along the main stem?

Exactly right.  If you have a "bare section" you'd trim that off and put the cut section with the new roots and new growth at the substrate level.

Edited by nabokovfan87
Still haven't had coffee this morning

On 7/12/2022 at 3:49 PM, JoeQ said:

Probably, it's actually pretty remarkable how much you can abuse a well growing stem and most of the time it will regenerate! 

I ask because some terrestrial plants will do that (like tomato plants) if you bend the stem laterally, roots for and new shoots will appear along the main stem… creating tons more plants. But I am not that knowledgeable about aquatic plants