Christmas moss

I chop it up into tiny pieces and either rub it all over wet wood or stick it with gorilla glue. i've treated all my mosses the same and they're all monstrously overgrown (but full of shriplets so i don't dare trim it, lest i snip a little guy in half!)

I chopped it up just a little and glued it to my driftwood. Been over a week or so now and the shrimp are loving.  I am starting to get growth and it's starting to cover up the spots where the glue was exposed. My Christmas moss smelt very earthy when I got it. Out of all the plants I have dealt with it is definitely the only one that let me know it was there lol 🤣 

967A9222-80F9-4336-A0FE-5AD5927E5D6B.jpeg.f94b87625a65820fadb6de27401185c5.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Shortly after reading the first reply, I used the rub it on wet wood technique. I was skeptical at first, thinking, wouldn’t it float off, but heck, if someone else has done it successfully I will try it. 95% of it floated off… 😂🥲

I did glue some to rocks and some to driftwood also and that worked well.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

Looks awesome! Also, is that Anubius Nana Petite growing on the edge of that piece of wood? I like the size of the leaves. I was thinking of planting either it, Nana, or a crypt under my driftwood where it is resting on the rocks, but can't decide. 

I don't chop it up, but I do glue it to big flat surfaces.  Mopani with moss is one of my favorite things as well as large flat rocks. 

I don't think I have a picture of it, but I had a piece of mopani that was probably 12" x 16" and it had a big mass of moss on it that started from one little tuft I balled up and glued on.

I very, very, very much enjoy it when the moss grows and you see it grab/stick to the surface of the hardscape.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 4:49 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I bought it locally in the Central FL area. 

96E07C8A-423E-4EE1-BE05-F364F03F060A.jpeg

Agreed. I buy locally. All the moss I’ve bought online has died, and honestly about 1 every out of every 4 dies locally as well. 

• 1 year later...
On 12/23/2023 at 2:51 PM, TJOBrien said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea how's the Christmas Moss doing? Did it develop into the nice triangles of parallel branches or end up more like mine with good parallels but not consistent. Or did you get the random Java Moss hybrid that like nothing like Christmas tree triangles?

IMG_20200702_172801194.jpg

Them thriving bright frond tips 😄

If only my fissisdens would grow as fast as xmas moss xD  

• Haha 1

On 12/23/2023 at 2:51 PM, TJOBrien said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea how's the Christmas Moss doing? Did it develop into the nice triangles of parallel branches or end up more like mine with good parallels but not consistent. Or did you get the random Java Moss hybrid that like nothing like Christmas tree triangles?

IMG_20200702_172801194.jpg

I don’t seem to have it anymore; I guess it melted.

• Sad 1