Harlequin Rasboras Breeding

anitstuk

Hello everyone! Around 4 or 5 days ago, I bought some inhabitants for my new 15 gallon tank which we 8 Harlequin Rasboras and 1 Honey Gourami. I am trying to start some sort of breeding project for the Rasboras but I am not sure how to get the most success. Could I have any help? Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Good tips here.

(1) Set up two aquariums or a single divided tank to bring HRBs into spawning condition. Feed lots of live foods. Females need to be mature, and full of roe.

(2) Set up a small (e.g. 5.5 gal - 1/2 filled) dedicated spawning tank. Incorporate broad-leaf plants — e.g. healthy Anubias, Nana-petite, etc. Have a small seasoned sponge filter ready and in, but not turned on. Use clean, dechlorinated, tank water that has been rested in a pail with an air-stone for 48 hrs.

(3) Add male and ready female HRBs. They spawn in the morning at first light. May require 24-48 hrs for pair to spawn.  Probably best not to feed them in the tank to avoid water contamination. Watch for spawning behavior. They use the underneath side of broad leaf plants to deposit eggs.

(4) Remove parents, wait 24-48 hours, and get out a magnifying glass. Fry are very hard to see. They’ll require a tiny food. Green water, infusoria, vinegar eels… all good options until they’ll eat baby brine shrimp.