HELP (fry?!)

Bailey

I very unexpectedly have (what I assume are) fry in my tank and I do not know what to do. This is my first community tank. 
The ones I was able to catch I moved to a fry net thing I already had in the tank for a pregnant cherry shrimp. 
my questions are: What do I feed them? They’re so impossibly tiny…I feel like they’re going to starve. I don’t know what they are.  They’re either salt and pepper corys or CPDs. Will the shrimp in the net eat the babies? I moved her so her eggs can hatch without the other fish eating the babies right away…. I added a (bad) photo of the ones I was able to catch.  Thank you so much! 

DDB370DE-D22A-4288-83B2-1144AB17BEB8.jpeg

• Like 1

Baby brine shrimp is the ‘go to’ food of choice in most cases. In a pinch you can grind down a little flake between your fingers, or touch your finger against Repashy powder then into the tank. 

my guess is that they are CPDs since they are swimming at the top of the water.

On 6/22/2022 at 11:24 PM, Ken Burke said:

Baby brine shrimp is the ‘go to’ food of choice in most cases. In a pinch you can grind down a little flake between your fingers, or touch your finger against Repashy powder then into the tank. 

my guess is that they are CPDs since they are swimming at the top of the water.

I have the co op fry food but I’m scared it’s too big for them, they’re so tiny! Do you think this would work? I don’t know where i would get baby brine shrimp from, unless i can buy it frozen

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 8:30 PM, Bailey said:

I don’t know where i would get baby brine shrimp from, unless i can buy it frozen

Frozen would work too. Even the chain pet stores tend to have a little freezer section of frozen fish foods including baby brine. The co-op fry food has worked well for me. Sometimes there are slightly larger chunks in there but its worth a try if you already have it! You can always pick or use a turkey baster to get it out if they dont take to it. Also it's really easy to give too much food at once to the fry so be mindful of that too. 

• Like 2

On 6/22/2022 at 11:34 PM, billango said:

Frozen would work too. Even the chain pet stores tend to have a little freezer section of frozen fish foods including baby brine. The co-op fry food has worked well for me. Sometimes there are slightly larger chunks in there but its worth a try if you already have it! You can always pick or use a turkey baster to get it out if they dont take to it. Also it's really easy to give too much food at once to the fry so be mindful of that too. 

How often should I feed them? Do I have to worry about the cherry shrimp that’s in there eating them? This is a first for me, I appreciate your help! 

On 6/22/2022 at 8:40 PM, Bailey said:

How often should I feed them? Do I have to worry about the cherry shrimp that’s in there eating them? This is a first for me, I appreciate your help! 

I try to feed small portions as frequently as I can, which is maybe 4 times a day on work days but maybe every 2-3 hours on weekends. Theyre not going to starve to death if you can't feed them so frequently, but it will help them grow. They just have small stomachs and mouths so feeding too much at once will just leave extra food in the water and might get cloudy. As for the shrimp, I have not kept them with fry in the same little net box which I know is quite a small space so I'm not 100% on that, but I wouldn't think the shrimp would bother the fry. Also be on the lookout for more fry as they might continuously start popping up!

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 11:49 PM, billango said:

I try to feed small portions as frequently as I can, which is maybe 4 times a day on work days but maybe every 2-3 hours on weekends. Theyre not going to starve to death if you can't feed them so frequently, but it will help them grow. They just have small stomachs and mouths so feeding too much at once will just leave extra food in the water and might get cloudy. As for the shrimp, I have not kept them with fry in the same little net box which I know is quite a small space so I'm not 100% on that, but I wouldn't think the shrimp would bother the fry. Also be on the lookout for more fry as they might continuously start popping up!

Thank you so so much! 

• Like 1