Plant Suggestions for 20 High Rescape

Matthew Grob

I'm in the process of rescaping my 20 gallon tall. I found this awesome piece of driftwood to use a few weeks back, and now I'm wondering what plants I should add to this aquarium. I might end up removing one of the sponge filters, not completely sure though. The tank is at the moment empty, but I will be adding a clown pleco to this aquarium somewhere down the road (not sure of what other inhabitants I'll include just yet). The light is just a Nicrew, fertilizers would of course be Easy Root Tabs and Easy Green. Substrate is just Caribsea's Sunset Gold sand. Low light plant recommendations are greatly welcome. 😊 bonus points for stocking suggestions too. 

IMG_20220617_223355221_HDR.jpg.ba293dce9db2a65ae4e4569e67ff225a.jpg

Mayaca Fluviatilis in the background hiding the filters 

Albino Full Red Guppies 

Or

Tiger endlers 

Flame tail tetras 

or 

a solid color Molly of some sort

Orange Venezuelan Cory’s 

Java moss on the wood 

perhaps some dwarf sag or hair grass as a carpet 

a single standout plant like a rose flame sword or a pink flaming crypt 

idk I looked at this and it gave me these vibes hopefully it helps lol

So that’s a tough question to answer because I feel like it is directly correlated to your willingness to maintenance/ skill set. What I mean by this is absolutely I personally think there would be no problem with that amount of fish in the set up you described, I know it can be done, I know I have housed many many more similar fish without issues in the same sized tank in the past. However I’m diligent about my maintenance routine. As long as you do your water changes and tank maintenance, as well as watch for the leftover food/ mulm both species notoriously create, and monitor your parameters as things settle in, it shouldn’t be a problem at all in my opinion

On 6/19/2022 at 4:51 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

As long as you do your water changes and tank maintenance, as well as watch for the leftover food/ mulm both species notoriously create, and monitor your parameters as things settle in, it shouldn’t be a problem at all in my opinion

That wouldn't be an issue as far as maintenance and feeding goes, I just wasn't sure if they'd have enough floor space in a tank that size. I'm hoping I can find some Mystery Snails too, I haven't had any in about 2 years. Pet stores are over an hour from me, and every time I've looked for Mystery Snails I haven't been impressed with their selections. 

On 6/19/2022 at 3:33 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

single standout plant like a rose flame sword or a pink flaming crypt 

Wouldn't a clown pleco eat off of a rose flame sword, or is that just strictly amazon swords plecos eat? 

Floor space will be ok in my opinion, you are correct both species prefer to have more floor swim room rather then swim height but it also kind of depends on how u plant it/ hides etc. I’ve noticed with caves my plecos get lazy so they haven’t needed as much space, Cory’s are usually pretty active but they aren’t hard to please. As far as won’t your pleco eat the plant that’s hard to say. I’ve never owned a pleco that even attempted to eat one of my many many swords. I’ve heard that as well that they munch on swords but I’ve just never seen it personally and I’ve had I don’t even know how many different types and variations of plecos, as well as swords. (Never a clown plec tho). Feed them well and I think your swords are safe, forget to feed them and they might be a snack lol again I’ve never had an issue with that I wonder if it’s individual fish specific. I ordered my mystery snails online bc my LFS never impressed me eighter and I love them, breed them, and encourage them…