Betta struggling

Gustauf

Relatively new fish keeper here. My betta of about 18 months has been becoming listless and developing discoloration that I can't identify. 

Ph 8.1

Nitrate 25

Nitrite and ammonia 0

Gh 75

Kh 120

Temp 78-79

All parameters have been stable, test weekly, water changes sporadic. It's my wife's tank, and she tends to clean it couple times a month with about 50% water change.

Only tank mates are two RCS and two amanos.

Recent history, case of fin rot that got farther along then it should have, treated with 2 rounds of single dose ich-x and maracyn with good result for fin growth. A while later full treatment with maracyn for lethargy and the discoloratons near his tail, lethargy resolved, but discoloration was unchanged. Later 5 days of ich-x with no significant change. Now spots seem to be increasing in size and number, and dark bands have developed behind the gills.

I just feel like I'm missing something. Any idea what might be wrong or other empirical treatment options. Or am I just over-worried about a fish that is getting lazy?

P.S planted tank with a moderate algae overgrowth only treated with mechanical removal. 

PSX_20220612_134126.jpg

20220612_133123.jpg

PSX_20220612_131159.jpg

PSX_20220612_133232.jpg

Very sorry for what you're going through.

I would add an airstone if you can.  As with what you said above the concerning thing is the redness on the gill section.

Salt might be a good idea as well.  I think what your doing is correct with the Maracyn / Ich-X

I don't know if the best thing is to see how added aeration helps and monitor for another 24-48 hours.  I definitely wish we had a hotline for issues like this 😞 .  I would scrape the front glass as well, just to make it easier for you to see things when sharing photos.

Great advice above.

Extra air stone and salt are great suggestions. The only thing I will add is that it looks like Maracyn has been used in the past a few times. A resistance of sorts can be built up, and the same med won't yield the safe effectiveness.

You may be better off with another broad spectrum antibiotic such as Kanaplex.