restarting 20gal high

So i posted about this before, but i might restart my 20gal high (Get rid of my platies), and was wondering which of these 20gal high ideas are your favourite:

1.Pygmy Corydora Colony Tank

2.Betta Territory Tank: Betta, Panda Cories, HQ Rasboras

3.Apistogramma  breeding tank (1m, 2f)

4. Nocturnal tank: BN pleco, Kuhli Loaches

5.Algae Eater tank: Nerite snails, Otocinculus, Amano Shrimp,Hillstream Loach

6.Fairy tale tank: Bronze Cories, Hillstream Loach, Amano Shrimp

Edited by Theplatymaster
  • Like 1

Pygmy cory tank. Definitely. So much crazy fun  add some shrimp. 

Just fyi a 20H is way to small for a breeding BN tank.  It’s actually in the small side for a single adult BN nd the high does not really have a lot of floor footprint. It can be done with one BN and a lot of maintenance.  Or a breeding pair in a 20 long with tons of maintenance 
I have 1 breeding pair in a 40 which is ok but when the babies come to grow them out to acceptable rehoming size I use a 20long with tons of maintenance I wish I had a 40 b for the grow out. My unintended breeding pair is in a 29. The girl developed eggs and I had to put her in with the boy. It’s not ideal being only a 29.  

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 9:00 AM, Theplatymaster said:

I will be honest my current fave is #2 the betta territory

I have always done betta community tanks and have loved them and got so much joy out of them. However, I've noticed bettas have been/become very sickly very easily. I would buy a betta from keepfishkeeping.com (KG Tropicals) which is where I got my last who was super healthy until an accident happened, they handpick each betta they sell from the breeder they work with. Or I would buy from AquaHuna, who is endorsed by Cory (Aquairum Co-op). 

On 6/8/2022 at 9:08 AM, Hannah Parker said:

I have always done betta community tanks and have loved them and got so much joy out of them. However, I've noticed bettas have been/become very sickly very easily. I would buy a betta from keepfishkeeping.com (KG Tropicals) which is where I got my last who was super healthy until an accident happened, they handpick each betta they sell from the breeder they work with. Or I would buy from AquaHuna, who is endorsed by Cory (Aquairum Co-op). 

I have a betta i got from my LFS that is currently in my ten gallon, he is doing perfectly fine and i would probably use him in my betta territory tank

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 9:50 AM, Theplatymaster said:

I have a betta i got from my LFS that is currently in my ten gallon, he is doing perfectly fine and i would probably use him in my betta territory tank

That's great! I'm sure he would love an upgrade. would you break the 10gal down or stock it with something else? 🙂 

On 6/7/2022 at 6:10 AM, Theplatymaster said:

1.Pygmy Corydora Colony Tank

2.Betta Territory Tank: Betta, Panda Cories, HQ Rasboras

3.Apistogramma  breeding tank (1m, 2f)

4. Nocturnal tank: BN pleco, Kuhli Loaches

5.Algae Eater tank: Nerite snails, Otocinculus, Amano Shrimp,Hillstream Loach

6.Fairy tale tank: Bronze Cories, Hillstream Loach, Amano Shrimp

I would answer this with a bit of a comparison.

This is a 20H situation and specifically not a 20L situation.  For me this means I want generally smaller, less active fish.  Something that wants a lot of horizontal space I would try to avoid as well. 

I think you can do some corys, but I would automatically prefer any 20G tank with corys to be a 20L tank.  Because of this, I think only the pygmy cories make any sense for this tank.

I think a ram is a great bottom dwelling fish here.

I think a chili rasbora or WCMM or other upper level nano type fish is going to be a nice bit to add.  Something also to consider is that because this is a 20H and not a 20L you want to have stem plants, taller plants as a result.  Whatever nano fish you choose to add to the list, I would hope that they like to interact with that type of a plant in some way.

Midwater I think you have to go something like a CPD, neon tetra, rummynose tetra, something with extremely nice coloration but something that likes to feel protected.  Again, I would discourage something that wants to dark across the tank.