Aponogeton Ulvaceous dormant period?

I've had this aponogeton for about 9 months and at first I tried to prevent flowering to keep it from going dormant, but eventually I let it go and it made some flower stalks which I left on for a few weeks and eventually removed just because they were in the way during netting of fry, etc.

The aponogeton is starting to look poorly--some pale stems and leaves, large ratty areas where snails are going to town because the foliage is weak. I assume this is the dormant period coming on?

My question is: should I just leave it, or should I cut it back to the base so the bulb doesn't wear itself out trying to maintain these tatty leaves, or should I feed it? My goal is to keep the plant healthy so it will regrow leaves after its resting phase. TIA!

IMG_8814.jpg.259f5ef5593e50256fda7db502ad0bfd.jpg

Edited by PineSong
added photo

Mine go dormant frequently - and can stay dormant as long as a year if i dont' remove them. I haven't tried to remove them but i suspect that would shorten the period. It is one of the reason i'm not in love with this specific apongeton despite the nice looks. Also in a hi-tech tank it is just too large with leaves well over 2 ft long. 

Anyway to answer your question if you just leave the bulb in the tank it will eventually respawn but can be dormant for a long period - also it might be healthier to remove the bulb (healthier to the plant).

On 6/4/2022 at 8:57 AM, anewbie said:

Anyway to answer your question if you just leave the bulb in the tank it will eventually respawn but can be dormant for a long period - also it might be healthier to remove the bulb (healthier to the plant).

Do I remove it and dry it out, or do what with it? And how long should I wait before I plant it again?

On 6/4/2022 at 9:02 AM, PineSong said:

Do I remove it and dry it out, or do what with it? And how long should I wait before I plant it again?

I've always left it in the tank; the book warns that doing this will eventually kill the plant. the book I have sez this (i've not done it):

"the tuber has to be stored in a more dry than moist surrounding (perhaps drish soil or paper towel) at a temp between 20C and 25C even though temp up to 30C might correspond to natural conditions" it is critical that the tuber is more dry than wet else it will rot but not 100% dry. For this plant the rest period is at least 4 months. 

--

NOTE: Different Aponogeton have different requirements depending on their native habitat. The book mention three major types: type 1 (above); type 2 always submersed no rest period and a type 3 that requires the tuber be stored in a very cool place (like fridge).

• Thanks 1

Thank you, anewbie. I'm going to give it a try and let this one rest outside the tank in some approximation of humid but not wet environment, AND I'm going to order bulbs of the other aponogetons I've been wanting to try and see what happens with them.