Frustrated & Ready To Quit

Tori_W_22

On 6/3/2022 at 8:28 PM, Brian said:

Oh I forgot….  Have you contacted local water company, or at least tested it prior to putting it in the aquarium?  

Hello

Stocking I have gotten fish a little from here and a little from there so I don’t think that’s it. I do “cross contaminate”… 

I have tested my water going into my tank. I live in a county about 30 minutes from Salt Lake and our water here SUCKS. Its so hard and has so many minerals in its crazy. I do use RODI for all of my tanks and use tap water as needed to get to where I want to be. I always treat tap water. And it reads no nitrite or chlorine when tested. 

On 6/3/2022 at 6:39 PM, Tori_W_22 said:

I did 50% water changes and gravel vacuumed all of my tanks. The water is testing 10ppm nitrates in my 55g tank. The white cloud tank and the platy tank are still reading 20ppm nitrates. I will do aquarium salt in with the white clouds tomorrow after their next water change. 

All great things. 40 or less Nitrate is great! Good to get down to 20 during water changes for some wiggle room. Just to make you feel a bit better. 4 of my tanks consistently test 40ppm nitrAtes b4 and after water changes - everyone does fine.

• Like 2

For white cloud some are stronger than others, depending on where you get your white cloud from. I noticed petco is hit or miss, a good bath will make it, a bad batch either die within the week or looks fine and fall apart a few month down the road. 

I recommend you getting yours from a breeder that had them for a few generation, or buy a decent group and deworm it right when you get them. I use 2 round of prazipro about 2 week apart, then I'll hit them with a goat dewormer(fenbendazole).

Also feeding high quality fish food only works if the fish can use all or most of it. In other words don't forget about prebiotic and probiotics 

• Like 2